What I did to my Magnepan MG12's and I'm doing with my new 1.7's

I UPGRADED the crossover components in my MG12's!
OMG!
Do you guys have any idea what happens when you replace a $9 cap with a $250 one??
And replace a $1.75 cap with a $18 one, and replace a $12 inductor with a $65 one??
Well... that huge GULF of quality difference between a MG12 and a 3.7 gets a WHOLE LOT SMALLER. They become MUCH more serious sounding HI-END speakers.
I've been living with these modified MG12's upgraded for a year and half and enjoy them immensely. And I've owned $10K speakers before the great recession so I know what great sound is.
Since the 1.7's have much better panels than the MG12, I've decided to buy a pair and DO THE SAME WITH THEM.
The important thing is I'm not changing ANYTHING about the design of the crossovers, ONLY the QUALITY of the components. Probably will sink about $1K-1.5K in them. You would be surprised to hear people I tell about what I've done say back to me, "Oh, that just can't be worth doing or make much improvement". Are you kidding?? What do you think happens when replace a $35 pair of headphones with a $650 pair? You seriously think you won't get a better sounding pair? OF COURSE YOU DO! And it's the SAME THING with the parts that make up a crossover network. I'm just grateful to Magnepan for them putting all the value into the panel drivers instead of the crossovers. Think of how difficult it would be to try to upgrade/mod those big panels?
(MG12) I put Clarity cap MR 400v - 27mF+5.75mF (33mF replacement) for the tweeters, a 2.8 mH - 16 ga. foil aircore inductor with 50mF solen fast cap for the mid/bass (but suggest using a 12 ga. instead), and leave all the factory components in place and just run new wires from panel tabs out the speakers terminal holes. Keep all speakers term. parts in case you sell them. Break-in is about 50-70 hours, then they go magically serious sounding. Before break-in happened I have to admit I was wondering if this was a completely stupid act, but no, it was absolutely righteous in EVERY WAY.
Even the 3.7's are using very base grade parts I've noticed. There is a guy on these forums that claims his 1.7's  with upgraded parts sound better than his friends 3.7's, I whole-heartedly BELIEVE him. All I can say is if your 3.7 or lower model Maggies are running stock XO componenets then you have NO idea what they are capable of, that's my story and I'm sticking with it. If anyone wants advice or help I'm happy to assist. Enjoy this wonderful experience. God bless.
dfarmer
I know that Chris at Parts Connexion used to make/build custom crossovers for the Maggies.

They were pretty expensive, but said to be really good.
Hey all, first post here, but I've been stealing info for a while and used some of the advice off of here to get to where I am now with my system.  and at my advanced age I am proud to say I now have the finest system that I have ever owned, and one of the top 3 or 4 I've heard.  I, too, changed out the caps on my 1.7's.  I thought my maggies were a bit too shrill on the upper and middle end so I used caps that would smooth it out just a bit.  Imaging and airiness without the bite was the result and I couldn't be happier.  I mostly listen to 2 channel music, but I do have the CC5 and MC1's from Magnepan for the surround channels.  Processing and power to the rear and center channels is provided by an Anthem MRX710, while the front 1.7's are currently powered by an Emotiva XPR-2 linked to the Anthem.  The 1.7's are power hungry beasts and, before I got the XPR I tried to run them off the Anthem, which is a great unit, but at high volumes the protection circuit would kick in.  I also tried running them off of an ancient Sansui AU9500, and an older ST series B&K but couldn't get what I thought I should get out of the maggies.  I even had a friend bring over a tube MacIntosh that didnt make the grade either.  I tried out an Emotiva XPA-2 and I finally got them to sing!  When the dealer offered me a floor model deal on the XPR that I couldn't resist that is what I stuck with.  The hunt for a subwoofer, even though the 1.7's aren't too bad on the bottom end, was the most difficult.  Don't go by the subwoofer reviews for this.  You need to hear it with your system.  I went through 5 different set ups at the dealer, including REL, Rythmik, and SVS, but the bass kept its overtones going after the maggies were all done.  They all muddied up the music a bit.  I finally found a non-ported Martin Logan Dynamo 700 that was very precise, was extrememly reasonable on cost, had a great built in amp and the adjustables that I needed and I was finished....I thought.  To me everything sounded great.  But the one thing that I had put off while trying to get all the right components together was doing the room correction.  The Anthem ARC room correction is acclaimed as one of the best.  And, knowing that the Magnepans are real sensitive to placement, I decided to run the ARC.  Incredible!  The magic finally happened.  Anyway, if you are thinking of getting the 1.7's or 1.7i's just stop thinking and do it.  I realize I've rambled on but I hope that there has been a bit of info that may be valuable to someone here as previous posts were for me.  All the best.