Review: Tyler Acoustics D3 Speaker

Category: Speakers

Tyler D3 Review

DETAILS:
Just wanted to say a few words about the Tyler D3's. I have had my pair for about 10 days with about 70 hours on them.
The basics.... my room is treated with foam from Auralex. Floor to ceiling treatment behind the speaker corners, stand mounted foam tubes in the middle rear and first reflection points dampened with wedge foam rectangular sheets. I think treating the room for good acoustics is very important to hear what any high performance speaker can do.
My preference is for tubes. I'm using an Atma-Sphere preamp and Cary Six pacs with the Tylers. I also have a set of horns powered by a 45 SET and a pair of Quad Pro 63's. With the exception of the power cords all cables are silver wire.
In the past I've owned quite few speakers from Totem, Merlin, Von Shw, Fried, Quad, BMS/Altec and some others. The upgrade bug hit and I was going to make a pair using high quality drivers and my just average cabinet making ability.
Saw Ty's ad for his new speakers and called him. He said he had custom designed all new drivers, crossovers and cabinets. The price was not much more than making my own and the cabinets would surely look a lot better. I took a chance and placed an order.

The speakers: They look fantastic, way better than I could ever make. I wanted to match the red oak in the house and gave Ty information on the stain, they match perfectly. Since I sit in office chairs when listening the tweeter needed to be elevated. For a nominal charge Ty made some 10" stsnds that are the exact shape as the cabinets and are finished in a shiny black paint.

The Sound: Like any high performance speaker these can be very fussy about placement. It took about 10 tries to find the right spot in the room. They also need break-in, out of the boxes they are not anywhere near their potential. They also like decent quality electronics. I used them with one of the new Onkyo integrated amplifiers and they showed it's shortcomings right away.
These speakers are excellent sounding, the soundstage is enormous, the drivers integrate extremely well. I was used to the Quad 63's and feared the D3's might not be an improvement since they have multiple drivers. The D3's easily trump the Quads in dynamics and high end extension. They are just short of my big horn speakers in dynamics but are much better at separating the instruments in the mix. They have a weight in the midrange that is ear opening, massed voices have the best harmonics imaginable.
The bass and mid bass is still getting better, but these guys have slam and punch that's awesome. I have subs but really don't need them much, they are set at 30hz crossover and minimal volume to fill out the very bottom.
Trumpets and Saxaphone are my favorites and these speakers do them superbly, especially trumpet. The most outstanding characteristic is intelligibility of voices. The Quads are very transparent however, the D3's are a step up. It amazing, you can understand words like never before. This is most apparent in watching concert DVD's and movies, I have heard words to songs that I never knew after 20 years of listening. The low level words in movies are now understandable and clear as a bell. Truly a new benchmark in my experience.
To sum it up.... I'm very pleased with the Tyler D3's. They are the best I have owned in over 20 years of listening. And the price is less than others I have owned.
They are high performance, need a fair amount of care to sound good, and highly recommended.

Associated gear
Tube System

Similar products
Quad, Totem, Merlin
pacevir
I just got a pair of Tyler Acoustic Decade D3's also and would like to share my impressions. Mine are maple and I've only had three days to listen so they're not at all broken in yet. But right out of the box these are fantastic speakers - I am a music lover first and these are excellent all around performers not narrow audiophile speakers. Excellent highs, midrange, very well defined and articulate lower frequencies certainly down to the mid 30's, very good dynamics, excellent low level detail, very, very good timbral resolution. I haven't even had time to play with placement yet. I'm using an integrated Creek 5350 SE, Cambridge Azur 840C CD player, Cardas Quadlink speaker cable, Acoustic Zen silver interconnects, Well Tempered Record Player. These speakers are easy to drive so should work with any good amplification - obviously higher quality will be rewarded. You will hear what your components can do. More importantly you will hear the music as if it's coming from real human beings.Put on the cd of the Rolling Stones Let It Bleed and you will think they are the greatest even if you thought you were a Beatles fan. These speakers are very, very fast without sounding dry or etched. Try Nickelcreeks Why Should the Fire Die? I like all kinds of music - Classical, Jazz. McCoy Tyner did a cd called What the World Needs Now - the music of Burt Bacharach - with his trio and a symphony - so it has everything in it - large scale orchestral passages, very fast solo percussion work - all of it conveyed by the D3's with very fine imaging, nuance and excellent rhythmic pacing. I wanted a speaker that could do everything (don't we all) without breaking the bank or being too big (they are moderate sized). When I explained to my wife what WAF means she laughed but these speakers definitely get to stay in the house. I got them because I had previously owned Ty's Taylo monitors and loved them and Ty is an amazingly good guy to do business with. It's a leap of faith to purchase speakers if you can't audition them but anyone who owns Tyler Acoustic speakers will tell you that the quality is completely there. I've listened to lots of set-ups over the last 30 years. These are very high quality real world speakers - not fussy flavor of the month. It will be interesting to see how they break in over the next few months but even right now as Pacevir says in his review, the vocal articulation is superb and revelatory. I'm sure that a high amount of care will only make them sound better but even if you're wanting to put together what I would call a relatively low maintenance system - I think these are a pretty great choice.
Are these the floor standers or monitors? I assume that the major difference between the two would be bass response.
I have 250 hours on mine and the 200 hour mark seems to be close to the magic number. Out of the box don't do them justice. Don't even listen to these critically until you reach 200 or more. They outplay there price by a mile. Toms of resolution and a huge stage. They are deep and wide and can be very dynamic when called upon. Very good overall balance and tone. I have only read about Tylers later models and most say they are on the warm side. The D3's are just open and nuetral and I can't find one area where they color. If anything I would want to add a little warmth without losing the transparency. In a nut shell these are high performance and time will tell if they become a world beater.
Purchased a pair of D3s which arrived a few weeks ago - also have Ty's Linbrook System 2s and Taylo 7Us. As with my other Tylers - excellent build quality - fit, finish and components

Swapped the D3s into my main system - driving them with Ayon Spirit 2 60 wpc tube integrated, April Music Stello 220 DAC, Marantz CD5003 as a transport, Clearaudio Smart Phono, Clearaudio Emotion TT. Use Signal Cable Ultra bi wire SCs and Gabriel Gold Revelation MK 2 and 1 ICs

Have about 90 hours on the D3s and found that the mid bass and bass started tigthening up and being more pronounced around 75 hours. D3s seem to be a little more forward than my other Tylers, but not bright, the others have a little more warmth to them. D3s have good separation of instruments and the soundstage seems to be broadening as they work themselves in. Looking forward t ohearing how the ysound as they hit the 200 hour mark Jp notes above.