Review: Porter Port AC Outlet Customized Hubbell 8300 Tweak

Category: Accessories

I continue to be an independent audiophile and have no association with any manufacturer or individuals whatsoever.

I believe all types of stereo equipment, including tweaks of all types, can be system-dependent. In addition, I also think audiophiles are capable of liking different products. Just because I prefer item A and you like item B does not mean one of us is wrong. We can agree to disagree over personal choices. My review is based upon listening results from my tube system and my solid state system.

Over the past several years, I’ve done an extensive amount of listening to my systems using the following outlets:
Wattgate 381 non-cryo’d / cryo’d, FIM non-cryo’d / cryo’d, PS Audio non-cryo’d, Furutech FP-2G non-cryo’d,
Acme Silver plated cryo’d, Leviton 8300 non-cryo’d / cryo’d, Hubbell 8300 non-cryo’d / cryo’d, Hubbell 5362 cryo’d, and the Porter Ports, a special order Hubbell 8300 that has no multi-layered bright nickel plating on the contacts and has the same higher impact resistance thermoplastic polyester face as the Hubbell 8300’s do.

I do very much like the Wattgate 381 and the Furutech FP-2G (both of them are gold plated). In my systems I prefer to save them for special occasions when I desire that special smooth sound for a specific component that requires it. By the way, I don’t recommending cryogenically treating anything that is gold or gold plated. I never heard an improvement. If anything, I’d say it degraded the sound a bit.

While I do hear vast amounts of improvement using all the other cryo’d outlets that I mentioned, I believe the Porter Port edged out all my other outlets. I believe it has something to do with the fact that the contacts are not nickel plated and the outlet is treated by a long computer-controlled cryo immersion as opposed to a long computer-controlled cryo vapor.

Here’s what I heard: All of the well-recorded CD’s I listened to (that I use for demo comparison purposes) sounded as if the volume had been turned up one or two clicks. There was more detail in the lows, mids and highs. I heard a sweeter timbre and background accompaniment. The sound was not harsh, and there is a wider and more dimensional soundstage with a deep, fast bass. There is a very black background that reveals the detail in a very positive manner, even when listening at very quiet levels.

When I received the Porter Ports, I was doubtful that I would hear any change compared to my other cryogenically treated outlets because of the AC power filtration systems that I am currently using. However, I was shocked and surprised by the performance of these outlets. I highly recommend the Porter Ports.

Associated gear
Click to view my Virtual System

Similar products
See review
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xlak
The new thread activity prompts me to post an update letting Tubemiser and Hdm know that my system's wall duplex was replaced a few months back with a Porter Port.

I'm glad to report that the PP is a much more substantially-built connector, which it ought to be given how flimsy my old outlet was upon close inspection. But I couldn't leave the old one in place for sonic comparisons, nor could I install an otherwise-identical, non-cryoed version of the PP for tests regarding the effectiveness of cryo in this application.

The PP certainly grips the plug more securely, which was really all I had been after (the old outlet actually permitted the plug to vibrate when drawing power). Although I heard no differences before and after installing the PP, as I have explained to Albert, I don't draw any conclusions from that casual finding one way or the other, for the reasons I outlined above.

Nevertheless, I did manage something in the way of a reasonably objective A/B comparison test: I was able to reposition my gear rack far enough to one side that it just allowed me to move my system's central AC plug over to another outlet on an adjacent wall, normally out of reach, and still barely reach the regular duplex as well. This second outlet, like the main one I replaced with the PP, is as old as my house - close to 50 years.

This second outlet is also happens to be located on a different breaker circuit than the one my system normally plugs into. But regardless of different outlets and different circuits, I could not reliably or consistently identify any meaningful sonic changes when moving my system plug between these two duplexes, repeating audition cuts with about a 30-second delay to swap the plug's position.

As I also related to Albert, it is entirely conceivable that I don't hear any difference because I don't expect to hear any difference (based on my reasoning which I won't go into here, but which is spelled out with excrutiating detail in another archived thread on this general subject). I don't personally believe this is the case mind you - I like to think I'm open to hearing whatever there is to hear - but I must acknowledge it is possible in theory.

Another potential explanation for why I don't detect a difference might be that the alternate outlet is not just located on a separate, but on a somehow 'better' breaker circuit - the sonic superiority of which is just about right to confoundingly offset the outlet superiority of the PP located on the inferior circuit. Again, I don't personally buy this story, but it needs to be mentioned as a theoretical possibility.

Not surprisingly I'm not surprised by my findings, so to speak. I'm also not disappointed, and I hope no one else will be either, particularly those who encouraged me. I believe they only had my best interests at heart, and I assure them I do not have an agenda to 'prove' anybody 'wrong' on this topic.

Obviously many people are convinced that this works to improve their sound, and my experience won't and shouldn't disuade them. Or anybody else, especially given that a PP is a fairly cheap tweak, one on which no real profit is being taken.

Albert made these available, at no small trouble (yet little or no monetary reward) to himself, as a service, because he believes in this tweak's efficacy and wants to share the sonic benefits he perceives with others. As all can see, many pleased buyers have reported sonic satisfaction with their purchase.

Although it's true I don't hear a difference, I actually feel satisfied too - because, as I told Albert when I ordered mine, time and many trips to Home Despot had proven that this was the only way I was going to be forced to get off the dime and actually do something about my rickety old outlet (which may have been a lurking hazard for all I know - not long before, another original outlet in the house started smoking spontaneously due to corrosion, very luckily with me present in the room). Yes, I could've bought an upgraded outlet for less at the store without the cryo, but the point is I hadn't, repeatedly. So purchasing the Porter Port did indeed help achieve my goals in this area, and you can't ask for more than that.
Thank you Larryb, your results are what I experienced in my own system.

This may now be long forgotten, Porter Ports began as a personal project to avoid paying retail for the outlets I needed during construction of my listening room.

I sourced un-plated parts from Hubbell (special order) and an old friend who did contract work for NASA got the cryo work sourced.

After my positive experience, I posted this in my Virtual System and began getting requests from members for an outlet of their own.

We literally put together a group of 50 members who paid up front for parts and cryo and we waited for a couple of months for this to get finished.

It was so successful I continued to offer them.
Hi Albert, just calling em like I see (and hear) em. It's a very worthwhile upgrade especially at the price, and I hope you'll continue to offer them. Otherwise I'll have to pull outlets out of my house on my next move. :D
Porterports are quite possibly the best upgrade you can get for the money! I mean, imagine the hundreds of dollars we spend on some few inches of wire.
agree with the above comments...shockingly great upgrade...
night and day difference !!!!