Review: Porter Port AC Outlet Customized Hubbell 8300 Tweak

Category: Accessories

I continue to be an independent audiophile and have no association with any manufacturer or individuals whatsoever.

I believe all types of stereo equipment, including tweaks of all types, can be system-dependent. In addition, I also think audiophiles are capable of liking different products. Just because I prefer item A and you like item B does not mean one of us is wrong. We can agree to disagree over personal choices. My review is based upon listening results from my tube system and my solid state system.

Over the past several years, I’ve done an extensive amount of listening to my systems using the following outlets:
Wattgate 381 non-cryo’d / cryo’d, FIM non-cryo’d / cryo’d, PS Audio non-cryo’d, Furutech FP-2G non-cryo’d,
Acme Silver plated cryo’d, Leviton 8300 non-cryo’d / cryo’d, Hubbell 8300 non-cryo’d / cryo’d, Hubbell 5362 cryo’d, and the Porter Ports, a special order Hubbell 8300 that has no multi-layered bright nickel plating on the contacts and has the same higher impact resistance thermoplastic polyester face as the Hubbell 8300’s do.

I do very much like the Wattgate 381 and the Furutech FP-2G (both of them are gold plated). In my systems I prefer to save them for special occasions when I desire that special smooth sound for a specific component that requires it. By the way, I don’t recommending cryogenically treating anything that is gold or gold plated. I never heard an improvement. If anything, I’d say it degraded the sound a bit.

While I do hear vast amounts of improvement using all the other cryo’d outlets that I mentioned, I believe the Porter Port edged out all my other outlets. I believe it has something to do with the fact that the contacts are not nickel plated and the outlet is treated by a long computer-controlled cryo immersion as opposed to a long computer-controlled cryo vapor.

Here’s what I heard: All of the well-recorded CD’s I listened to (that I use for demo comparison purposes) sounded as if the volume had been turned up one or two clicks. There was more detail in the lows, mids and highs. I heard a sweeter timbre and background accompaniment. The sound was not harsh, and there is a wider and more dimensional soundstage with a deep, fast bass. There is a very black background that reveals the detail in a very positive manner, even when listening at very quiet levels.

When I received the Porter Ports, I was doubtful that I would hear any change compared to my other cryogenically treated outlets because of the AC power filtration systems that I am currently using. However, I was shocked and surprised by the performance of these outlets. I highly recommend the Porter Ports.

Associated gear
Click to view my Virtual System

Similar products
See review
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xlak

Showing 2 responses by larryb

I just installed two porter ports in my system. One to a new dedicated line for my AV gear (Cary pre, amp and DVD player) and one for my video.

Yes the audio had tremendous improvements including a quieter background, better detail, imaging, livlier sound etc. But it's hard to tell if the difference is with the dedicated circuit, the Porter Port or both.

But I also added one to my projector outlet that doesn't have an audio circuit. This I can tell you made a major difference. The contrast and black level increase was obvious to everyone present, including a guy visiting us that owns a Hollywood film restoral business.

My projector is a Sony LCD unit with somewhat challenged black levels and contrast - so obviously an extremely worthwhile tweak. Especially for the price. I'd guess the improvement in black level would be similar for DLP, Plasma, etc but who knows?
Hi Albert, just calling em like I see (and hear) em. It's a very worthwhile upgrade especially at the price, and I hope you'll continue to offer them. Otherwise I'll have to pull outlets out of my house on my next move. :D