Looking for integrated better than my Rogue Sphinx

I have owned a Rogue Sphinx integrated amp for two years (100RMS). I don't have any specific complaints about its performance except at times when played loud, it sounds like it is clipping and delivering more distortion than clean signal. The Rogue retailed at time of purchased for $1325.00 (remote cost $100 bucks more). I thought it wise to check around with members as to their opinions about a step up in sound quality from the Rogue integrated before starting any serious searches.

Most higher end integrated amps today are decked out like cuckoo clocks and so this might be tough one. I have read a lot of good things about the Hegal integrated amps, but don't need a DAC unless it is going to be superior to the one in my Ayre CX-7emp CD player. In addition, I have no interest in computer audio and many of the accessory features of the newer amps will be useless to me.

However, I will need an MM phono stage, and will miss the one in the Rogue which is first rate.

Is it worth while to take a look at some of the older, highly praised integrateds, like Sim-Moon series of 7 years ago, or Krell, Vincent, Musical Fidelity, and possibly Conrad Johnson. CJ offered an integrated amp about 10 years ago and tagged it at $6500. It was rated 200RMS, but had no inboard phono stage It got excellent reviews at the time, though never took the market by storm ( probably because of its price tag in a depressed market) .

Having more power than 100RMS would be nice, but not a priority. My speakers are (newly acquired) Golden Ear Technology Model 7; so far, an extraordinary sounding speaker considering its price of $1400 per pair. Thanks to all
sunnyjim
I'd recommend any accuphase or luxman. However, they're a bit higher than what you're budgeting. Considering cost, you might want to look into the top line NAD integrated. It's got all the features you mentioned, plus plenty of power. I know a couple of folks that have NAD's and they sound good. Certainly, worth an audition. For more....

nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-amplifiers/C-375BEE-Integrated-Amplifier

Good luck
I would suggest the Rogue Cronus Magnum II Integrated 100Wpc with the KT120 tubes. My friend has one and it sounds great--musical, powerful, and nicely detailed, plus it has a phono stage and remote control.

I used to own the Rogue Medusa and moved to the Rogue ST-100 tube amp (similar to the Magnum II without preamp features). I can say that I'm much happier with the all-tube Rogue...
To Samac, What magazine was this comparative review?? I did see a review of the Arcam A-19 in the last issue of either TAS or Stereophile. Is this the review?? If not, please send me the link to that review Thanks, Jim

To Plato, I came very close to buying the Rogue Cronus Magnum II with the KT120 tubes, but did not want to spend the extra $1000 over the cost of Sphinx Also, I was mindful that often tube amps can have a higher noise floor. Also, did not want to get caught up into tube rolling. The Rogue Sphinx is a very good product, and I have no guarantee that CM will provide a marked improvement in the sound, unless I can find a local dealer who will loan me one for the weekend

To Mi8764ag, The Rogue Pharoah might be a great choice, but it retails for (I think) $3800. The dealer I bought the Sphinx from was in NYC and had them on sale, but not the Pharoah at the time. I would probably get badly beat-up on any trade-in toward $3800. and have to spend $100 bucks to ship it to NYC. Even if he gives me $1000-$1100, I will still need to come up with at least $2700-2800. He might spot me the shipping. but I doubt it

So. add another $150-200 to the final receipt for roundtrip shipping to Los Angeles A local dealer might work a similar deal, but I would have to pay 8.5% sales tax on $2800. Regardless, I still would have to be convinced either by audition or a variety of strong reviews, that the Pharoah is much better across the board than Sphinx. I know that the quality of its parts are better...but

Roksan Caspian II integrated?? Maybe, but only, if I can hear it with the red lights turned o0n. Thanks to all other who responded so far