why do people feel the need to buy expensive cable

I have tried expensive cables and one's moderately priced. I would say there were some differences but I can't actually say the expensive cables were better. IMHO I believe a lot of people buy expensive cables because they don't actual trust their ears and are afraid of making a mistake. They figure the expensive cables are better for the fact they cost more. If you have a difference of opinion or share the same thoughts, I would like to hear about it.
taters
We're still arguing about "expensive" cable while failing to define what it is.

Here's my, admittedly extremely subjective, take: $0-$500 modest price, $500-$1,000 medium, above $1,000-stratosphere, expensive.
Would anyone agree with this (yeah right, us agree on anything)?

That being said, looks like I've purchased several "expensive" cables while everything else is in the other two categories.
Rja, I've read recommendation for good inexpensive hotel in Rome. When I pointed out that it was over $1k a night, hardly inexpensive, he said "it is inexpensive to me". I would rather speculate where is the point of diminishing returns. If you still can hear the difference between $500 and $2000 cable then the only question is if you can afford it and how good is your system (can you use this money better).

One thing about cables is that it is non-perishable item. Many years from now I might have different amp and speakers but still the same cables.
I feel the need to hear really good systems with really expensive gear including wires just so I know what they sound like as a "reference" and what I might be missing otherwise.

But I have yet to feel the need to buy any of it.

I have felt the need to make some changes and do some "upgrades" afterwards, but always for a fraction of the cost that the reference systems I heard would have cost.

I'm not saying mine is as good or not. Only that I get as much enjoyment out of my stuff these days as I do from the "very best" when I hear it. For whatever the reason. Probably just me. Same true in comparison to most live performances I hear even though I know my stereo could never reproduce the best of those accurately. But as long as I can close my eyes and believe I am hearing something real, I am happy.
Audiolabyrinth,
Of course you agree with melbguy1, you work for Tara Labs! I
guess you thought no one knew that.
why do people feel the need to buy expensive cable - Because it matches there overpriced syytem . Cannot have large sums of money on display and not have a the same tied up in cables . That would look silly