Primaluna DiaLogue Premium preamp

Hello all.

I just wanted to drop a quick note to the forums stating that I purchased a Primaluna DiaLogue Premium preamplifier about a month ago from Upscale Audio.. (thanks Kevin for your help).. and wanted to convey in some way how pleased I am with my purchase. I was using a solid state unit for a lot of years [at nearly three times the cost] and as much as I enjoyed that unit, the Primaluna is in another league compared to quality of sound,which of course, would be the reason why any of us look to upgrade our systems.

This preamp has a fantastic way of causing the natural sound of the music to ebb and flow that only a well made tube pre can do. As expected, the mid's on this unit are glorious and just plain sound like real music, communicating to my ears what tubes do so well,that is...a naturally organic and live..be there.. musical presentation.

Also,as much as the mid's impress, the highs and lows are just as good as the mid's. The bass on this pre just plain rocks. This thing digs deep and does so without any reservation. I never would have thought that a tube preamp could have better bass performance than my solid state unit..but for me,in my system, without a doubt, it most certainly does. I'm guessing the high build quality and the massive transformers used in this design are the reasons why it digs so deep, and does so without apologies.

The highs are yet another fantastic area where the Primaluna grabs your attention, and I mean so in a most positive way.The highs are very natural and revealing at the same time, without any added fatigue or brightness in presentation.That in and of itself is a rare combo for any piece of kit...let alone one that is so reasonably priced,that is.. by high end standards.

The reviews of this preamp online by some of the better rags out there are a fair and truthful assessment of the virtues of this preamp. I can also give the Primaluna my highest recommendation to anyone looking for a musical component that really does deliver the goods in a smart and beautiful package.

I would like to thank Primaluna for a great job in the design, build, and sound quality of this DiaLogue Premium Preamplifier. And to do so at a fair asking price is the icing on the cake.....

Kudos Primaluna!!
aolmrd1241
Isn't tube or SS rectification technically not part of the signal path? I use a couple of well designed (Dennis Kager and Bob Burriss) tube guitar amps with both options and my stereo tube hifi amp is SS rectified, so the score around here is currently 2 to 1 (not counting SS pro amps and my class D bass amp).
I asked that question before I bought my PrimaLuna. The top of the line preamps from Audio Research, BAT, and a number of others use tube rectification or regulation, and so my assumption would be it is better if it is possible $$$ wise.

I had looked at the Cary SLP05 preamp, and it uses a single 5AR4 rectifier tube. The PrimaLuna uses one for each channel.

I have to say I took mine off the rack and removed the bottom panel and it is incredible. I am amazed by the insides and even the finish of the chassis. It's a rich gloss paint. Very nice and a far cry from flat black that others use.

I am also thinking about changing the rectifiers. I got the message from Kevin that using the Philips 5R4GYS isn't automatically an upgrade. It is warmer. The preamp is so perfect stock I don't know if I want to take a chance. I suppose I could keep them for a rainy day.
Not an answer to my question, but makes me continue to wonder why an item converting AC to DC outside of the signal path would make anything "warmer" or otherwise, although tubes do get physically warmer by nature. The wonder of wondering.
"I am also thinking about changing the rectifiers. I got the message from Kevin that using the Philips 5R4GYS isn't automatically an upgrade. It is warmer. The preamp is so perfect stock I don't know if I want to take a chance. I suppose I could keep them for a rainy day."[quote/] Therealist

I understand your hesitancy to make any changes, I initially had the same thught. However, I am using the Philips 5R4GYS and feel the warmth they add is of significant benefit. For me, this takes the sound of the PrimaLuna, in my system, up another meaningful notch.
Great thread. I’m think of buying the Dialogue PreAmp. Good information here. 
Many users with 2+ years on their Preamps want to tell us their experience over time? 
Tube rolling? Etc.