Toddler-Friendly Budget Speakers?

Looking ahead to our baby becoming a toddler, can anyone recommend a good pair of relatively cheap (by audiophile standards) toddler-friendly speakers? I guess the most important factor is something that won't tip over easily. Whether that means floorstanding or (bolted) standmount, I have no preference. I should add that we have a pretty small space, so huge speakers won't really work. The other factor is durability, specifically some solid set of durable and effective grilles to keep prying little fingers from the delicate driver units. I realize that's a rather difficult characteristic to find, which leads to the final factor: relatively low price. So that if they do see some damage, I can live with the loss in value. Definitely something around $1000 or under (well under preferable), used or new.
insomniac99
I think Mapman has a good suggestion. Most of speaker except very top is covered in solid sloping wood veneer. You should build respect for your toys with your toddler, but come on, stuff happens...
Actually, some visiting kids accidentally tipped over my B&W P6s once. Luckily, by chance, there was something standing next to them that prevented the fall. So yes, accidents do happen!

The OHMs with the sloping veneer are pretty stable and rugged and no delicate parts are exposed. I did accidentally bump into one once in the dark at a fair pace and knock it over onto a thinly carpeted concrete fpundation and it survived just fine. Wouldn't recommend doing that intentionally though!

Can't think off anything else as inherently kid proof offhand. Sound great too!

BTW, I have no affiliation and cannot vouch, but there is a very nice looking pair of OHM Walsh 4s as I describe up for sale. That's a very big sound with a very easy and formidable upgrade path available even if desired for not a lot of money!

[url]http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1280255323[/url]

Those are pretty heavy also. I doubt a toddler could tip them.
A cat-o-nine tails is a pretty good deterrent to prying backsides!!All it will take is one flogging and the little rascal will get the message!!Just don't let the neighbors find out!!
You’d be surprised how quickly toddlers learn not to mess with stereo gear if you're watchful. We always used the term… “that’s breakable” which worked pretty good for identifying stuff not to mess with.

My daughter had twins so we were forced to purchase the above referenced "fencing", although we called it the "baby jail".

My Focals are on four post Sound Anchor Stands which are very stable. I really question if a toddler could knock them over.
Developmental delays are often not diagnosed before two years of age. Statistics indicate that at least 8% of all children in the US exhibit developmental delays between birth and age 6. Toddlers usually begin walking around age one. You might be expecting learning acquisition at a rate beyond a child's capabilities. Even typically developing children can't be entirely relied upon to behave in an adult manner. Even when they do behave appropriately, their small size might make them more prone to injury from unexpected accidents. Numerous children die each year from toppling TV's. I'd suggest good risk management practices. Until you are certain of a child's understanding and behavioral consistency, I suggest one always leaning towards safety first. Changes can be made accordingly later. A separate room is ideal, in lieu of that I'd suggest properly wall mounted speakers such as a used pair of Thiels SCS's, Linn Kans, etc..