Toddler-Friendly Budget Speakers?

Looking ahead to our baby becoming a toddler, can anyone recommend a good pair of relatively cheap (by audiophile standards) toddler-friendly speakers? I guess the most important factor is something that won't tip over easily. Whether that means floorstanding or (bolted) standmount, I have no preference. I should add that we have a pretty small space, so huge speakers won't really work. The other factor is durability, specifically some solid set of durable and effective grilles to keep prying little fingers from the delicate driver units. I realize that's a rather difficult characteristic to find, which leads to the final factor: relatively low price. So that if they do see some damage, I can live with the loss in value. Definitely something around $1000 or under (well under preferable), used or new.
insomniac99
I followed the same routine that Kurt mentioned above with my twins when they were young, and it has worked perfectly for me as well. Start them out when they are young, and if you are lucky, you won't have to compromise too much on your gear choices...
And I can only reinforce the above posts. Buy your speakers for what they produce not what they prevent. A change of tone did the trick when my son started to crawl followed by physical removal.

The only thing I would say that I don't agree with "off limits". Respect is what's needed not fear. My sin is now 5. He undestands the basics of stereo:; can distinguish between drivers and likes to assist in cd operation. Funnily enough, he loves music.

Mike
A used pair of older OHM Walshes with the sloping cabinets are fairly hard to tip over, have a fairly small footprint can be had for not much, and the drivers are enclosed in a metal can. Hows that for isolation?

I had narrow floorstanders and planars, both easy to tip, in addition to the OHMs when my kids were young. SOmehow, it was never an issue. They probably just knew not to mess with Daddy's speakers!
Mapman - wider at the bottom is good but it would be ideal to have membranes outside of reach or covered by steel mesh (or woofer firing down).
I think Mapman has a good suggestion. Most of speaker except very top is covered in solid sloping wood veneer. You should build respect for your toys with your toddler, but come on, stuff happens...