Low Volumes

I live in Manhattan and live in a modest-sized studio. I'm currently set up with a Cayin A-50T and Totem Rainmakers. I love the sound they produce, but generally only when I increase the volumes to more than moderate levels. Unfortunately, neighbors (including complaining ones) exist. Is there a speaker/amp combo that would give me much fuller, satisfying sound at lower levels? I had vowed to avoid the "upgrade" bug, but feel this is a valid reason. My budget would be $4k-$5k (for both speaker and amp; each used).

Do I need better speakers? Model 1s crossed my mind. Better amp? A Luxman 505u crossed my mind.

Other components (if they matter): Cardas Crosslink interconnects, entry-level nordost bi-wire, Chordette DAC.
northern3light
Many horn type systems sound quite good at lower volume levels (they really shine in terms of clarity and dynamic liveliness at all volume levels), and, because they tend to be deficient in low bass response, they can be played a touch louder without bothering the neighbors (bass energy is MUCH more easily transmitted through walls, ceilings and floors). The trouble here is that they tend to be really big in size and many have a distinctively nasal coloration.

Dipole speakers (e.g., Magneplanars, Quad electrostatics) have the advantage of out of phase cancellation of the front and back wave where they interact at the side of the speaker. This means that the soundfield between the speaker can be fairly loud, with less intensity outside of the listening area. I was shocked at how much louder my current horn-based system sounds outside of the listening area when compared to the electrostics they replaced. The problem with dipoles in an apartment is that they really do need to be at least 4-5 ft from the back wall to sound decent.

Some regular dynamic speakers that I think sound pretty good at lower volumes include the classic Spendors (not so much the newer line of floorstanding speakers), Harbeth speakers, the Reynaud Trente speakers and the small tower speakers from Trenner and Friedl.

I would also look at speakers from Audionote (uk). These are designed for corner placement, though the bass can be a bit lumpy to me in that location, so they are very apartment friendly. These are quite lively sounding speakers at lower volume and have the advantage of needing only a modest amount of power.

The first poster mentioned Triangle speakers. I don't know about the specific model mentioned, but, that line really does offer a lot for lower volume listening. They sound very lively and clear without being overbearingly bright (tough trick to pull off).

After you find that pair of speakers that do the trick for you, then you can search for a suitable amplifier. The choice of amp is very much dependent on the speaker to which it will be coupled. Efficient and easy to drive speakers, like the Audionote speakers, have a big advantage because many of the better sounding amps that don't cost a fortune are lower powered amps.

Good luck on your search.

(one thing if you have complaining neighbors: get a rat shack sound pressure level meter. Then you can argue exactly what you sound level is from the seared position, and REPEAT it for a manager etc to hear it. if your music is not measured, you cannot argue and the other person will always be right)

Elizabeth,
In my limited knowledge of the law,in most noise complaints,the other person is always right(not a concept I believe in,but true).The authorities(super,manager,cops,etc.) could care less about what spl's your system is producing,just that someone complained.The argument will be,sure it's not loud now but it was an hour ago.Now if your building,community,etc. has specific guidelines and states what level constitutes "loud" then you "might" have a leg to stand on.When it is the complainant versus you the complainant will win every time.Just some of my rambling thoughts.
As Larryi suggests, the bass energy is easily transmissible in many cases. In mine, it is not the bass energy which comes through (unless one is right beneath, but my speakers are placed where it is impossible for my neighbors to be under) but piano. YMMV depending on the materials/construction between you and your neighbors Many horns will be deficient in deep bass, but high efficiency bass drivers can do low SPL bass quite well I find, and as long as the bass drivers are high efficiency, integration can be handled well enough.

You might consider bringing your speakers further out into the room. This should help reduce the bass reflections off the walls and help keep them from resonating, like a subwoofer in a car turns the whole car into a big resonating object.

Good luck.

Jim
How about a pair Magnepan 1.7 speakers with an Audio Research 100 watt tube amp. I think it would sound great. It would not go loud but that is what you want.