Silverline Face-off: Sonatina II vs 17.5

Got both in my home now.
(Just got the 17.5; Sonatina II's I've had for years)

Which do you predict will win the face-off? :-)

Need to break in the 17.5 for a week or so.
Subwoofer is REL Strata III.
Amps are Cary SLI-80 and YBA YA201.
Sources Cary 308T and EAR 834p phono (modified), driven by Basis turntable with modified Rega arm and Van Den Hull Frog.

Room is lively, 22 x 14 x 8 with openings to hall and dining room and fireplace.

Fun.

Art
artmaltman
update: Jax2 nailed it terms of sound. Well done.

What to keep? Apples vs oranges. On balance the Sonatina II presents a fuller picture of the concert. I am still likely though to keep the 17.5 because (1) it's new to me, and the fun of the hobby is moving on from pieces periodically even that you love them, to try other stuff. Also, (2) the smaller speakers don't dominate my living room quite so much.

Both of them have the family sound of Silverline, which works incredibly well for me.
I have a hard time parting with ANYTHING that gets in my house. And, if my kids dont take up my interests...I promise you, I will be buried with all my equipment. In a un-disclosed location. What? You guys think I'm dumb or something? Thats all I need in the afterlife is a bunch of audiogoons fighting over my grave to see who's going to get what. HAH!
What to keep? Apples vs oranges.

Exactly. They're both great choices, but excel in different ways. I have to say, the SR17's do look like little sculptures the way their designed - especially in the rosewood finish (my personal favorite). Great choices - both. Have fun, Art!
I try to force myself to decide things quickly, probably too quickly given the nature of the hobby, where subtle differences in gear can emerge over time.... but too slowly given my other commitments :-o

I am noticing this morning how they both share the same family sound. Also I'm starting to think that the Sonatina II has a substantial edge in the midrange, probably because of that separate midrange driver with the big dome. As you say Jax the 17.5 disappears a little better. Does the 17.5 have more detail or just more apparent detail due to a less prominent midrange. I'm guessing more due to a newer generation tweeter but who knows. But the Sonatina II has plenty. I'm loving how easy it is to move the 17.5.

I'm engrossed in testing stands now for the 17.5 This is a new dilemna. Stands sound different.

Also I'm testing 4 ohm vs 8 ohm setting on my Cary SLI-80 with 17.5. The difference is similar to that on the Sonatina II but less substantial. Perhaps the 17.5 has a more even impedance curve? To my surprise I gravitate towards the 4 ohm setting. It sounds more gutsy. Perhaps that will change when I hook up the REL sub.

Art