Silverline Face-off: Sonatina II vs 17.5

Got both in my home now.
(Just got the 17.5; Sonatina II's I've had for years)

Which do you predict will win the face-off? :-)

Need to break in the 17.5 for a week or so.
Subwoofer is REL Strata III.
Amps are Cary SLI-80 and YBA YA201.
Sources Cary 308T and EAR 834p phono (modified), driven by Basis turntable with modified Rega arm and Van Den Hull Frog.

Room is lively, 22 x 14 x 8 with openings to hall and dining room and fireplace.

Fun.

Art
artmaltman
Hi Art - Yep, I'd agree, sub off. Mine were the Sonatina I's so did not have the same drivers. It's been way too many years at this point to comment on the SR17 version differences. You might try looking at the archives of my input on them. I seem to recall there was a significant improvement in the highs and overall clarity in the latter (vIII) version before he went to the 17.5. I cannot imagine what he did to warrant doubling the price on the SR17 Supreme version?! I think the differences from 1 to 3 were greater than those from 1 to 2. Beyond that, memory fails me.

Putting them on a good stand makes a very significant difference, no matter which version. I ended up with an Osiris, which I thought was great for those speakers.

For me I chose the greater fullness of the Sonatinas and had those speakers for several years before upgrading. They have a very rich and natural way with vocals in particular. Though the SR17's offered slightly greater clarity, and imaging to die for, I always felt the need for a sub or just more down low. Still, the SR17's always surprised me to hear that kind of bass coming out of an enclosure that small. You are of course dealing with slightly different speakers on both counts, and coming at it with your own set of preferences. I think Alan makes great speakers. My money will stay on you sticking with the Sonatinas, especially coming from having had them for so long. I would think that you'd miss the information down low if you've gotten used to it.
Hi Guys, I couldn't help notice the thread and just wanted to add my 2 cents as another Silverline fan... I had Sonata II's for many years and after truly loving them, my urge for a change got the best of me and I sold them. Last month I saw another pair available and bought them (I went from Briarwood to Rosewood), I really love Alan's sound. I'm interested in this thread out of curiosity about his monitors too... the 17's, 17.5 or I was even considering the 11's for my 22 per channel SET amp in my 13'x18' room with Rel Stadium 2 sub. The SR-15 also intrigued me as well, though supposedly not the same purist mini monitor detail and design as the others... It's nice to hear Silverline owners comments....enjoy.
update: Jax2 nailed it terms of sound. Well done.

What to keep? Apples vs oranges. On balance the Sonatina II presents a fuller picture of the concert. I am still likely though to keep the 17.5 because (1) it's new to me, and the fun of the hobby is moving on from pieces periodically even that you love them, to try other stuff. Also, (2) the smaller speakers don't dominate my living room quite so much.

Both of them have the family sound of Silverline, which works incredibly well for me.
I have a hard time parting with ANYTHING that gets in my house. And, if my kids dont take up my interests...I promise you, I will be buried with all my equipment. In a un-disclosed location. What? You guys think I'm dumb or something? Thats all I need in the afterlife is a bunch of audiogoons fighting over my grave to see who's going to get what. HAH!
What to keep? Apples vs oranges.

Exactly. They're both great choices, but excel in different ways. I have to say, the SR17's do look like little sculptures the way their designed - especially in the rosewood finish (my personal favorite). Great choices - both. Have fun, Art!