This funny

My Krell LAT-1 tweeters blew and guess how much they cost new?? 48.00. A 40,000 dollar speaker with 48 dollar tweeters. WOW
radrog
welcome to the world of diminishing returns... the post about crimp on terminal exposes the truth behind so much of this ultra hi end gear! also the post about tweeters is right on, so little music is contained in those octaves it is ludirous how much atention is paid to them often. if you bought them from a krell dealer they should have installed for free! foolish biz. ethic.
Buying from a dealer (now that is also very funny) !!!! Buying anything in this hobby from a dealer and not AUDIOGON is plain out not smart. Audiogon is the best.
I think the equation in this circumstance should be whether or not you were satisfied with the speaker system before you found out about the cheap tweets. Could be a custom driver for Krell,or not...
I was able to order it localy from a company...it costed 60.00!!?? a 60.00 woofer out of a 10,000 pair of speakers!!

That is why consumer speakers look "stunning"! Cheap drivers but beautiful (and expensive) cabinets. Partly they must fulfill an aesthetic roll as nice furniture and the manufacturers know that few customers will open the box to find a woefully cheap driver with a miniscule magnet and voice coil.

That is also why professional speakers may look butt-ugly but can sound significantly better. Instead of great veneer and aesthetics - a proportionally higher part of the cost will go into the drivers, which are expected to perform better and with lower distortion at higher SPL's.

Of course this is a generalization - there are plenty of exceptions in both camps - but, in general, each target market gets what it desires most...pros impress their friends with loud, dynamic and precise sound whilst consumers will tend to dwell on the overall balance of the design, which includes the aesthetics as much as the value of the sound.

All to say there is absolutely nothing wrong with ML speakers - they still sound good and look stunning!