Is my preamp useless?

I enjoy my current system, which is built around a BAT VK-52SE preamp. I listen mostly to digital, via a Bryston BDP-2 player into a PS Audio DSD. I also enjoy vinyl on my VPI Classic/Dynavector/Sutherland 20-20 combo. Like most of us, I’m usually on the upgrade path. For me, the next component to upgrade would be the BAT preamp from a 52SE to a 53SE. But something occurred to me. I don’t listen loud. The gain on my PSA DSD is set to less than 100 and the BAT preamp is usually set between -20 and -10. So if my volume control is never set in the + range, is my preamp doing ANYTHING other than attenuating the volume and serving as a multi-input switch? Is all that Super Tube, single gain stage, zero feedback, high energy storage circuitry a waste of money?

Don’t get me wrong. I am very pleased with the sounds I hear. But if my pre isn’t doing anything, then I’d be better off to sell it and get a very simple passive attenuator, wouldn’t I? If that’s the case, what brands and models should I listen to?
Thanks for any advice.
slanski62
"If he expressed some disappointment with it, that would be another matter. But we really won't know for sure until he tries a passive. You may be right."

That's just the thing. I think we all can agree that in this hobby ignorance is bliss. You don't know what you are missing (or not?) until you hear it (or don't?). Just because he is happy with the BAT doesn't mean he wouldn't be ecstatic with a better preamp.

Shakey
The lower you want to play music, the better preamp you need. Retaining resolution while attenuating the signal is no easy task. Throw in a bunch of other stuff and me thinks a good preamp is worth its weight in gold.
Your preamplifier is not only providing attenuation, but it also helps match input impedance to properly drive your amplifier- regardless of level.

Not saying a passive won't work, as your Cary amps input impedance is relatively high, but it is not accurate to say your pre is doing nothing but attenuating the source signal.
Robr45 hi, read again the OP's first post about the amount of gain he has, then read "gods" words below.

NELSON PASS:
"We’ve got lots of gain in our electronics. More gain than some of us need or want. At least 10 db more.
Think of it this way: If you are running your volume control down around 9 o’clock, you are actually throwing away signal level so that a subsequent gain stage can make it back up.
Routinely DIYers opt to make themselves a “passive preamp” - just an input selector and a volume control.
What could be better? Hardly any noise or distortion added by these simple passive parts. No feedback, no worrying about what type of capacitors – just musical perfection.
And yet there are guys out there who don’t care for the result. “It sucks the life out of the music”, is a commonly heard refrain (really - I’m being serious here!). Maybe they are reacting psychologically to the need to turn the volume control up compared to an active preamp."

Cheers George
"What could be better? Hardly any noise or distortion added by these simple passive parts. No feedback, no worrying about what type of capacitors – just musical perfection.
And yet there are guys out there who don’t care for the result. “It sucks the life out of the music”, is a commonly heard refrain (really - I’m being serious here!). Maybe they are reacting psychologically to the need to turn the volume control up compared to an active preamp."

He makes a good point. But I don't understand why Pass only makes active preamps. And they're not cheap.