Recommend a forward speaker

Apologies in advance for cross posting this on AA as well, but figure there might be some different suggestions over here.

When I say forward, I mean the music is presented forward on the stage, NOT necessarily bright (but could lean that way).

I've got a pair of Verity Audio Parsifals, and they are not forward, and although I love their coherent and open sound, sometimes I feel like the stage is just too far back. I've done a lot to bring it forward: silver cables (Stereovox), Amperex 6922 in my amps, Canary ca 160 amps, Emm front end, still, the basic character of the speakers are still laid back. The soundstage at this point is probably about 3 to 4 feet behind the plane of the speakers. I prefer it at or slightly forward the plane of the speaker. That's what I get for buying without listening first. Although, honestly, it took some listening to finally put my hand on this. I was so taken aback by their beautiful, open sound, it was hard to understand their presentation fully.
128x128dennis_the_menace
I also own Verity P/E and I know exactly what you mean. Unfortunately, most speakers that I've heard with a more forward presentation are, as you suggest, also a bit brighter in tonality. Some of the Pro-Acs come to mind as do Zingali horns which can get downright edgy as the spl goes up . The current Merlin VSM (which I also own) respresents an interesting alternative, but probably won't scratch this particular itch. You might want to look at B+W or Wilson.

Good Luck.

Marty

God
I agree with Peterb. Actually a forward presentation will tend to be 'brighter' in the upper mid range. It can sound harsh on some recordings but that is what real music sounds like. If you stand ten feet in front of a trumpet player at a live event then you will know what I mean.

Distance tends to filter out these frequencies....therefore a speaker with a "BBC dip" will sound as if the musicans are much further away...less harsh and more pleasant sounding but less exhilherating and less of a "you are there" sound. A forward sounding speaker should sound as if you are no more than five rows back from the stage and/or the band is in the room with you. It can be an extremely exciting and exhilerating presentation. It will however not flatter compressed pop CD's. This presentation requires powerful dynamic bass to sound correct and not resonant reverberant bass typical of small ported designs with impressive bass extension in a tiny box. Proper bass is difficult/expensive to achieve in a small two way hence the popularity of the "BBC Dip" as it makes a little Rogers LS3/5 sound right (as if you are seated far back...first or second balcony).

I would add ATC to Peter's good suggestion. ATC's are voiced flat in the mid range, which compared to most designs ends up with a very forward but natural presentation...many will find this presentation harsh but that is because the majority of speakers out there are voiced with the more pleasant and less in your face "BBC Dip".
I also own the Verity Parsifal Encore's and know exactly what you mean, though their laid back nature is one of the reasons I love them.
I can't believe that they are not forward enough for you if you've tried Virtual Dynamics cables. VD cables throw the musicians in your lap! Which is why I don't care for Virtual Dynamics cables.
If you want to change speakers though, the aforementioned Wilson's and Von Schweikert's should be more to your tastes.

Cheers,
John
VMPS, their ribbons are super articulate and forward sounding, to me anyway, RM30, 40 would be less than the above references.