Comparison of Thiel CS2.4 vs. Vandersteen 3A Sig.

Interested in hearing about any comparisons between these two speakers, Thiel CS 2.4 and Vandersteen 3A Signatures, integration into rooms, ability to drive speakers, sound quality, any new updates or options that should be considered, etc.
audibleguy
Hi Braro,

It's interesting that your preamp had that affect. It would have been my first question anyway. You may want to try some other options in the tube arena. For cheap $$ the PSE HL-1 was always a good match...especially with upgraded tubes. The Aesthetix gear is fun too. In any case, I wouldn't run the Wadia direct because of how they do (or, I think they still do) their volume control in that unit.

The only other suggestion I have is to try all Audioquest wires. That way you'll know what the components are doing...using different cables ends up like using tone controls.

Good luck, you should be able to achieve what you want without a lot of hassles.
Hi Dodgealum,

I think you underestimate the affect the ancillary equipment and room have on the speakers. However, your point does have some merit with the 3As. They can easily over power smaller rooms. Really any room under 15x20 is too small. That and needing to couple them with good medium to high power amps are the only caveats really.

The 2Ces don't have this problem, but also don't go as low.

My point really is that I respect your opinion. However, I think that wherever you heard them on the "Right" equipment could have been better. I've heard what you're talking about and it's down to system and room. The Vandies are superb at disappearing and showing you what you have around them.

Happy New Year!
No matter how much opinions we give you, you are highly recommended to audition both speakers yourself. It is a matter of personal taste. Some like it open and detailed, but some like it laid back and relaxed. Both are very decent and capable speakers. If you pay attention to upstream components and cabling, I am sure you can make either speakers sing.

I have owned CS2 and CS3.6. I could make the 3.6 dull sounding and boring by mismatching amps and cables. Good luck and hope you make the right choice.
Chadnliz, I posted the definintion in response to Tafka_steve's post; ...."maybe it is a matter of language usage". It got me thinking as to the true meaning of the word harsh. Surprisingly, I found the the definition to be appropriate for both sides of the argument, and yet not in the way you chose to use it. Where I found the definiton appropriate was: ..."3. manafesting severity and rigor;"...
I find Thiel's to be somewhat severe and rigorous in pursuit of accuracy.
Best Regards, Unsound.
Sorry if I offended you, it is hard to tell exactly how words are meant to be used in print form, though I dont really think Thiel is right for me I do think they are a quality product. Like I said before it is just my opinion.