What's the greatest bargain in SET these days?

Hi, Gang,
I response to my recent review of the Reference 3A De Capo BE speaker, someone wrote that if you really want to hear them sing, you should try them with a SET amp, or words to that effect.
That got me thinking. The De Capo's are 92 db efficient, which (correct me if I'm wrong) seems kind of borderline for low-power SET amps.
In any event, right now I'm running mine with a pair of Manley Mahi mono-blocks. They are switchable from triode (20 watts) to "ultra linear" (40 watts). I run them in triode all the time, and in my room, the volume knob almost never goes past 9 o'clock; more would just be too loud.
All that said, what do you guys think of running the De Capo's with a SET amp? And if I did, what's the best bargain in SET's these days?
Thanks!
rebbi
Hi Al,
Your insight and technical perspective is always welcome. This is a fine example of very logical use of measurements (Al) vs actually listening to the pairing of amplifier and same speaker (Bill).It seems this combo can do quite a lot with the exception of orchestra music at really high volume. If this isn't a requirement for Rebbi there's the potential to be very happy with this match. Reviewer Tim Smith says the Dynamo was a good match with lower sensitivity Harbeths.
Charles,
Its gotta be. It goes against physics for a small box to be more efficient and have flat extended bass. Just cannot be. But might sound quite good still at low to moderate volume and soft clip increasingly as the volume goes up, limiting dynamics. Large scale dynamic works would suffer most. End results at higher volume might still be quite good, but can't be optimal in terms of dynamic headroom.

Smaller high efficiency speakers with low ends that roll off at higher frequencies, 50-60 hz or above say, like my "90db" Triangle Titus XL speakers for example would be less affected and probably a better match overall. Or larger more full range high efficiency designs.
Tubegroover,
I agree with you, this has been a very informative thread with many good contributions, this is what I look forward to on this site. I've become plain worn out with the battleground threads with the same predictable lines drawn in the sand. Tubegroover you should read Tim Smith's Dynamo review in 6 Moons. The work and effort he put into it is very apparent, in addition he writes well.
Charles,
I did read the review Charles. Very insightful and through as is the review of the ML 518i. I sensed much the same in Brownsfan's and Mikirob's impressions as well. It makes me want to purchase the amp just to HEAR it particularly at that price. It seems quite remarkable that a product obviously so well made and attractive to boot could be made in Canada, not China, at such a great price. It makes me more curious about Coincident's other offerings.
Al and Mapman, Good comments from both of you. One does well not to ignore physics and math. Reality is painfully stubborn and persistent. It won't bend no matter how much you want it to. However, in this field, one's subjective perception of that reality must be the final arbiter. Most of us have been gifted with the ears and minds to discern nuances to which 95% of the human race is oblivious. This is why an A/B against Rebbi's Manleys is the ideal. His room, his gear, his music, and his biases. It is after all his dime, and he has to live with his decision. I can't tell him what he should do, because I've never heard his amps in any system.

I think the Dynamo is an incredible accomplishment, but it has its limitations. You are not going to get a world class amp for 1.3K.

Tim, I also enjoyed your review very much. I also think those new production Gold Lion 5AR4s are quite good. It is nice to see some nice new production tubes that aren't so expensive.

Regardless of Rebbi's final decision, he should be credited with inciting a very agreeable and informative thread. Like Charles, I've got better things to do than get involved in the battleground threads.

Tubegroover, I urge caution on the Coincident gear. It is addictive.