magnepan 1.6 needs help in the bass

i'm begiinning to believe that the amgnepan 1.6 needs some assistance in the bass, i.e., more extension.

i am concerned that mating a cone, especially ported or sealed box is a problem as far as maintaining overall coherency.

also, it may be necessary to have stereo rather than mono sub, which can get expensive.

i have thought about rel, hsu and kharma ?

i also thought about the best way to configure the sub, namely blending. i would run the 1.6s full range and then add bass up to say 60 hz.

any thoughts ?
mrtennis
IMO you want a sealed design. Look at Rel, ML (Depth I think), Paradigm Servo 15. Lots of people praise the Velodyne DD seires but, I have never heard one.

Good luck
Rel Strata III.....excellent match for Magnepan 1.6's.
I've used a pair in a large room with 1.6's.
A non-philosophical post?
Mr. Tennis you disappoint.

The ML Depth is a big bang for the buck and should you use its high pass filter into your maggies I think that it would blend well with minimal veiling of the music. Stereo Depths are killer but in a small to med size room one should be sufficient.

Good luck!
Mr Tennis - I have the Maggie 3.6R's and have found ( after much experimentation, I might add) that you want to go with a sealed box sub, otherwise the bass lags behind the planar midrange too much. I use the Revel B12 Concerta with a short all silver(for speed) sub cable. My speaker cables/interconnects to the amps are a combioned 14 ft, so this also helps with the "speed" issue. The Concerta B12 is perfect with the planars and I would think one would do it for you. I am in a large room, so I needed two of them. The price is right as well - at $995.oo, these are VERY good subs, with a parametric equalizer as a bonus. I have heard teh Rels work as well, but I can tell you that the Hsu Research subs do not blend in well with the planars - I tried a VTF3 and it was WAY too slow. I hope this helps. John