magnepan 1.6 needs help in the bass

i'm begiinning to believe that the amgnepan 1.6 needs some assistance in the bass, i.e., more extension.

i am concerned that mating a cone, especially ported or sealed box is a problem as far as maintaining overall coherency.

also, it may be necessary to have stereo rather than mono sub, which can get expensive.

i have thought about rel, hsu and kharma ?

i also thought about the best way to configure the sub, namely blending. i would run the 1.6s full range and then add bass up to say 60 hz.

any thoughts ?
mrtennis

Showing 2 responses by bignerd100

A non-philosophical post?
Mr. Tennis you disappoint.

The ML Depth is a big bang for the buck and should you use its high pass filter into your maggies I think that it would blend well with minimal veiling of the music. Stereo Depths are killer but in a small to med size room one should be sufficient.

Good luck!
If you are going to run them fullrange you will need to set the sub to a low (maybe 40hz) crossover to avoid cancelation. I have tried all of the different ways to blend subs with speakers and using teh high pass filter usually makes for the most seamless transition. Sure YOU would know that there are extra electronics in the way and that the maggies are not being allowed to do all they can do but, the proof is in the pudding.

The Vandersteen subs are completely unique. I think that the crossover frequency can be changed on them. Plus all of the Vandersteen stuff is time aligned.

Good luck!