Decent audio in terrible room?

This is either a challenging question or a very easy one (the latter response being "use headphones"). I am looking to build a from-scratch system (phono and CD) in a real shit room. It's a tiny library-type space, speakers will inevitably sit on top of a short bookshelf up against the wall. Listening will be from within 5 feet or so. I am a complete novice in tricky situations like these - how do I go about making some sweet, low-power, close-range music?
Oh, and did I mention the limited budget?
faberwatson
1. if you go headphones, I love my old Stax Lambda's ($2-300) with an SET amp (I also have Etymotic Research, but I keep those for plane trips)

2. near-field listening can be great (non-earspeaker) if done correctly. You will probably get poorer bass response than a good set of phones, but it's purely a preference thing. I like the suggestions about older lower power tube equipment, but if the budget doesn't allow it, consider some of the old NAD 3 series electronics with the bookshelf of your choice (I like LS 3/5a knockoffs for nearfield, but again, it's a finance and preference thing).

good luck & happy listening,
You might try a studio monitor like the Lipinski. It's expensive but designed to work close to a wall - and for nearfield listening. That's the way I heard it a pro dealer in west LA. Imaging will be compromised and bass limited (probably a good thing in a small room), but you may be surprised at how good it sounds.
I would try some Totem Rainmakers or Von Schweikert VR-1's with a Jolida 302b. Add a Music Hall CD player and turntable and you're set. I've heard both speakers in confined places with that amp and they worked beautifully.

Michael
Hmmm... I thought I posted a reply earlier but don't see it now.

Well, for close-range low volume listening with some boundary reinforcement, you might look at single-driver speakers and low power tube amps. Or possibly coaxial speakers.

Duke