Hostility from manufacturers

I know its a cottage industry, and margins are thin, but I still think its shortsighted of them, and harms the industry in the long run. I'm talking about several interactions I've had with manufacturers after having purchased their products on the secondhand market. They should think about what would happen to their prices and their sales if their products were not resellable. Maybe they would like us to send our components to the scrap heap every few years or so just before we purchase their latest upgrade.

Fire away..
psag
You don't describe what the allegedly hostile interaction was, but many manufacturers prefer that the dealers handle the customer service aspect. I don't know you or what you expected from this company, but some people expect a manufacturer to provide free repair out of warranty or things like that. There are some companies known for outstanding customer service and perhaps you should only deal with them.
"Maybe they would like us to send our components to the scrap heap every few years or so just before we purchase their latest upgrade."

Of course they would! Manufacturers would like nothing better than for us to buy their products, use them briefly and discard them in favor of their newest model. That's how the term "planned obsolescence" originated.

Manufacturers find it abhorrent that consumers would trade their products on the secondhand market. I'd like to know why. When a product is purchased, whether retail price or at a discount, that's one more unit moved that will need to be replaced in inventory. If it was made and sold by a factory, someone got paid. I just call it arrogance.

I own Sonus Faber speakers and some time ago I read here on this forum that SF has stated that they will not assist any consumer that needs to source replacement of any component of their brand unless it had been purchased from an authorized dealer and they had the papers to prove it. Are they serious? Brand loyalty is precious, and manufacturers need to understand that. Again, arrogance.

In contrast, there have been stories here about smaller companies going the extra mile to help. Unfortunately, it seems the larger the company, the less likely to have those stories repeated. I have had great service from KimberKable and Music Hall, but ignored by a company like McIntosh.

In summary, I agree with you. I would call it arrogance rather than hostility, but every interaction with these companies is unique. Sometimes, it just depends on who answers the phone.
OHM Acoustics has teh best model in teh industry IMHO.

They provide support and many upgrade options for every model they ever sold. Of course they will gladly sell you new speakers as well, but they also offer trade-ins of older models so they can refurb teh cabinets and offer the latest and greatest drivers mounted in refurbed cabinets for a discount.

Their business model is built mostly around word of mouth from existing owners so their business model is built around providing many options and having all the bases covered for existing owners, no matter what.

So stick with a company that focuses on customer satisfaction and not selling the latest and greatest expensive gear alone and things will probably work out.