Subwoofers

I sold the first sub I ever owned, a Rel Strata III with the intent to upgrade, but now finding it difficult to decide what to buy. Given my system, GMA Europa Max speakers, and my orientation is for 2 channel audio, what should I buy? I am torn between the Rel Britannia B3 or the Martin Logan Depth. Are the Vandersteen 2wq subs as good as people say? Am I just being snobby towards them due to their inexpensive price?

Thanks.
mdomnick
Martin Logans,REL's, etc all do it for us music people because they take 12 to 18 inches of surface area and break it down to something that can be moved fast enough to pitch accurate for music.Didn't spend a whole lot of time with them but one large driver sub that did move quickly and delicately was the the Revels.Might be worth a listen.ML is great but pricey.As far as the Vadersteen 2WQ don't expect to exceed the performance of your Strata but if you are somebody who might give it a go (get a one with 30 day return) they are defintely and have ben for many years one of the best buys in Hifi.$1200 list and $800 used for a pitch accurate speaker tha everybody else would charge 1/3 more for could allow you to get a pair (and once you do you will forget that bass can't be localized under 150hrz and you'll never want a single bass unit again.)But with Vandersteen don't expect miracles.I am not sure exactly how it works but you don't use a line in with the 2WQ.You hook it up with your speaker wires at the amp taps.It's crosover is said to respond to the amps entire waveform.Of course it's going to respond primarily to low pass but this unique tech is one of the reasons it is said to be as musical as it it is.I sold Velodyne and agree theyare good for "Boom In Th Room" uynless you want to spenmd some bucks.The new DD series are supposed to be in terms of room crrection etc out of this world.You could get a HGS12-18 and I here that Velodyne will sell you the electronics that come with the $2500-$5000 and latter buy the electronics kit that does it's stuff (using TV to set up) so you could do the worth while Velodyne instages.Lastly in 5 to 10 years every amp will be a digital model and every hi-end pre willbe like the DEQX which not only takes "hump" out of room but do eveything else.I know somebody who sheelled out the 42600 and he went from $10 Infinity Preludes an swore he tweaked his 20 year old Dahlquists to sound almost as good.That bring to mind the Infinity it self which has the software if not to take care of room refelections etc at least takes care of the "hump" and it can sound terrific if it's something that bothers you but you don't know how to describe it.That along with Revel and stage by stage Velodynes are my help in further confuse the issue.But just to let you know I am myself am partial to multi drivers still at this point and because of finacial issues where cash is needed in so many other parts of my system taht's I'd go with one or make a deal with someboduy on two Vandersteens.
G'luck and put up a new post when you have solved all your problems.
Chazzbo
G'luck
Chazzz
I am very impressed with the Velodyne subs especially the DD-12. The room correction works very well and the sub is much better than my two Mirage 15" models. The room correction can be purchased as a stand-alone xover that will work with any sub and has the capability to control up to three at a time.
I own 2 vandy 2wq subs, and I,m very satisfaied with them, Their pro,s :
-Integrate really well with your mains , as long as your mains go down to 40 hz easily.
-They use unique Vandersteen passive x-over before the preamp which cuts at 80 hz -6db p/oct. which takes out stress y duties from both your amp and your mains.
-Fair price for what they do.
Minor weakneess:
-They don,t go as low 20-22 hz at the most , as opossed to the big and expensive Velodynes (DD&Hgs series).
Thanks everyone for your posts. I bought a ML Depth today...won't be here til next week:( I chose this after reading all your helpful comments and was able to make some observations about my Rel and what I wanted out of my next sub that I was not able to do without your comments. The Rel did disappear very well and mated with my Europas...probably too well. One would hardly know the sub was on. Based on my experiences with speakers (limited by all means) I miss the 'slam' from full range speakers. Not boomy slam that one might get from other subs, but something with more feel than what the Rel gave. Nsgarch expressed it well in his review of the ML and I am hoping I find the same results.

Thanks again.
>Lastly in 5 to 10 years every amp will be a digital model and every hi-end pre willbe like the DEQX<

What a ridiculous statement that is.

And BTW, Chazzbo, is english a second language for you?

Oz