OK WILSON OWNERS. HERE IS YOUR CHALLENGE

It seems thay many of us (including myself) have been a little too caught up in personal attacks/defenses of Wilson speakers. What we really need is an honest first hand assesment of WP 7,Max2,X2 vs high end alternative selling for less-much less. So here is my challenge : I will haul my Wilson Benesch Chimeras ( 20k plain,24k as finished in burled walnut) a reasonable distance from my home near Atlanta to hook up to YOUR system in YOUR room to compare to YOUR wp7,max,x2's. Only caveat is my speakers are less efficient (88 db) so have lots of power for fair comparison. Comparison is for: accuracy , musicality, enjoyment,value and anything else YOU want. Just be willing to be HONEST in your assesment. You have MY word that I will admit it on this forum if I am wrong and will bow down to Wilson if they earn my respect in direct comparison to my beloved WB's. I believe that even in a system optimized for Wilsons you will the beauty of a high end less costly alternative. - Jim
Ag insider logo xs@2xaldavis
By the way, I would be unbelievably surprised if someone were using a SET amp on any Wilson model. I wouldn't worry about it.
Hey Oliver,
Hope all is well with you. As a matter of fact, Oneobgyn is using Lamm SET amps with his Wilson X-2's.

Incidentally, a few of us heard the WP7's yesterday with Halcro amps/pre and a $35K DCS stack. For those who savor the dexterity and refinement of a 7-course meal prepared by a first-rate Lyonnaise chef, the sound was outstanding. It would not be my choice for daily fare, but there was no question that other music lovers would have speedily written a check for the entire lot.
How can any kind of fair and realistic comparison be made under these conditions? How will anyone know if the performance of each contender was optimized, and optimized for whose taste? I

I heard MAXX IIs in several CES/THE SHOW set ups last year. In most of these rooms, they did not sound very good. But, they made a respectable showing in the Audio Research room at THE SHOW. That means they can sound good under some circumstances, but, SURPRISE, they are not good under all conditions.

Likewise, the Watt-7s can sound both good and bad. At CES, the room with Halcro amps, the big DCS stack of digital source components and the Watt-7s was one of the WORST sounding rooms I've heard (the big McIntosh demo has retired the title for WORST sound). Someone above, loved this set up. I am willing to bet the difference is primarily room and set up conditions. So, how can any judgment be made?
Boa2, "it would not be my choice for a daily fair" What was missing from that gourment meal.
What was missing from that gourmet meal.
What the system did was extraordinary. It just didn't quite hit my taste palate, that's all. It sounded like perfectly reproduced music, yet always in the realm of hi-fi. For what it's worth, I had the same effect both times I've heard the Chimera's as well. I notice the gear more than I am able to connect with the music. On the other hand, who can really say, given that our system at home is the result of two years of 'tweaking', not a 60-minute spin in an unfamiliar space. Also, the sound I heard this time (the third time I've heard the WP7's) was characteristic of the affects I hear from many power conditioners, as well as an overly damped room. Like I said, I could see someone else coming in and dropping the dime on the whole setup, because if this level of refinement and quality is what you're after, it delivers in spades.
Indeed I am using the Lamm ML 2.1's with my X-2's. It is without question the best sound that my ears have ever heard.
Amazing how 18 wpc can drive the X-2's and with plenty of head room to spare.