This Sistrum stuff works

Hi. I just got a bunch of Sistrum products to add to my system. The package arrived, with 2 Sistrum Speaker Platforms, 2 Sistrum Equipment Platforms, 2 sets of AudioPoints, a pair of Sonoran Plateau Desert Speaker Cables, and a pair of Sonoran Plateau Cactus RCA Interconnects.

I wanted to try an entire line of products that were designed to work together, using the unique vibration management system that the Sistrum and Sonoran products have. I thought this approach could have some merit.

I put the products into the system, 1 by 1, and listened for differences. I started with the speaker platforms. I immediately noticed that the slight "boxiness" that was present primarily in the lower midrange was almost eliminated. And the bass, and midbass was much more defined than before. Overall clarity seemed improved, but it was already quite clear to start with. One of the more interesting benefits was that I could play louder than before, with less audible distortion. Then I tried the equipment platforms under my preamp and amp. This improved the focus of the entire presentation by several percent. And again, I could play even louder before noticing any distortion occurring. The next candidate was the Audiopoints under my Teres TT. This was where I noticed an increase in detail and lowering of the noise floor. I had already used BDR cones and Cocobolo Cones under the TT, and these beat both of those quite convincingly. The final thing was the Sonoran Cables. These need some time to break in, but after about 4 hours of playing, this package is giving me the best sound that I have ever gotten from this system. The cables, even right out of the box, were quite open and detailed, with no high-frequency rolloff that I had experienced with some other cables I've tried, like Cardas Golden. After just a few hours, the bass was really showing excellent tonality and control. The mids were as open as my DIY cables, which had previously slain all comers. I expect these Sonoran cables to improve over the next couple of weeks, and that will be a nice treat, because they are already sounding quite good indeed.

Now, I have to admit that I have not tried a boatload of different cables, but I have tried a few. My cone and support situation was in need, and I didn't have a very good vibration control system in place before I got this stuff. Maybe other stuff can do very well too. But I can say that this Sistrum and Sonoran stuff does exactly what it says it does, and I am very pleased with the results that I got on my system.

In addition, I really like the appearance of these products, and that never hurts, even though my audio room looks more like a workshop than a living room. I go primarily for performance, and not looks. The sound is the key issue for me. But good looks are always a positive, if the sound is also good.

I would say that I recieved an honest 15% improvement in the clarity, tonal quality(especially in the low end), and in maximum SPL that I can now attain. Although I didn't measure it, I feel that I got an additional 3db SPL over what I was getting before. And with the improved clarity and tone at the same time. With my low power tube system, this was a very big plus, because it was like getting more power out of my amp. Sistrum claims that when you use their products, you get better efficiency from your system, including amps and speakers, due to proper vibration management. I now believe that this is true, because I experienced that in my testing with my system.

I could heartily recommend these products to others, because I feel that if they work on my system, they will work on others. The technology works. I'm happy.

While other isolation products may be very good, and also other cables may be very good, I feel that these are doing a great job, and have good neutrality, but let the sound and dynamics come through crystal clear, and from top to bottom.

This package wasn't cheap, at about $3000 retail for all the items I got. But it is not anywhere near the high price that alot of other cables and racks cost. I think it strikes a very good level of performance for a reasonable price. I can't buy $8k speaker cables, or $5k audio racks.

I'd recommend them for anyone to try out. They really do work, just as the manufacturer claims.
twl
Sean, as TWL has written in his Sistrum statements he heard more music with lower distortion and at higher perceived volume levels. You do not increase level by dampening or killing off dynamics. Green only used some of the tools at his disposal. The Green rack sounded better when you did not clamp and kill dynamics by compressing equipment between shelves. And it sounded way better when you replaced all the steel rods and hardware with all brass. Because he had the tools does not mean he had the science to apply these in a correct method. Yes he did try to tune his speaker with a tensioning system bolt, but again one major mistake in his method was to have a point of exit[ the Audiopoint} on the bottom and his tensioning method on the vertical panels. These are conflicting applications and are counterproductive. The only thing he had done was to retune the speaker, again by varing the storage time of the unwanted nasties he was properly trying to evacuate thru the use of Audio points on the bottom. Sistrum I feel is now a science. If you use it as long as I have and thruout your entire system it will become easy to understand what it does and thus how it works. The mysticism will then be in the music and not in the product. Sistrum contribution to the music is that it does not dampen and therefore does not retune your music. Again Sistrum does this by providing a high speed path of stored resonance to ground. Sean, do your self a favor and try this stuff, it works. Tom
I know we have been talking about racks, mostly, in this thread. If you remember my review of the Sistrum Mini Monitor Support System, a month or two back: Starsound has applied the resonance transference principles to their speaker support system For those that have been following this badinage, about resonance transference,and have monitor speakers sitting on Sound Anchor stands or any stands that work on similar principles; take a look at their stands. Monitors aside, they also have systems for floor standing speakers, as well. Changing from the Revel M20 stock stands, to these babies was dramatic.
I think the basic information has been presented and discussed, pro and con, on these products. For technical information and patent documents, you can see them at the audiopoints.com website.

There will always be disagreements on what different people want. There have been some comments supportive of the Sistrum stuff, and some comments supporting other stands.

The main point that I tried to make with this thread, is that in my application, the Sistrum equipment worked even better than advertised, and I was happy with the result. I felt that their approach to resonance transfer was in keeping with my ideas on the subject. I wanted to try a whole system approach in applying this idea. I feel it worked very well.

What anyone else wants to use, is up to them.
Hi Twl, I have kept reading this thread because I own and love Sistrum products myself (like Warren, I use speaker stands, mine under my Genesis 500 floorstanders, and a 5-shelf rack for my components). I am not a scientist and speak only from my limited experience with various racks, shelves, points, cones and mats in my system over the years I have been listening to music and trying and buying gear. I have a question for you Twl: I have placed my LP-12 on the top shelf of my Sistrum rack, with Audiopoints lined up to rest evenly on three places on the metal bottom of the table. I have thus bypassed the rubber feet that engage the suspension system. I like the way the TT sounds, but wonder if you have an opinion on whether placing my Linn on the Audiopoints like this is a good idea? I have read elsewhere and certainly from Linn that the TT should just rest on its rubber feet. My Linn has the Trampolin base and Cirkus, by the way.
Also, thank you for your thoughtful review of what you heard when you installed the Sistrum stuff. I always value hearing what others thought when they listened to something, whether they are scientists, electronics engineers, or just plain dummies like myself. As someone said earlier, our hobby is rife with subjectivity! I take all opinions with grains of salt.
And Warren, like Judit, I am a girl.
Twl: Sorry for sidetracking your thread. This was not my intention. I only intended to introduce another product of similar pedigree into the conversation. Some of my "generic" comments were misinterpreted as being specific and for that i apologize.

Brulee: I understand exactly what you are saying. In effect, you believe that only sonics matter, the ear is the final judge and personal hands-on evaluation "rules". I think that this is "partially" wrong and here's why:

It's kind of like buying a highly recommended car that only goes 70 MPH. You initially don't know about the limited speed and even if you did, you might not see this as a problem because that is as fast or faster as you normally drive. Other end users that recommended the product may not have ever pushed the envelope to find out exactly what the product was capable of. As far as they are concerned, it always worked fine for them so they are happy and recommend the product.

One would only recognize this as a flaw once they tried to exceed the level of performance that they now can't achieve. If they would have read the specs and done the math, they would have known about the limitations involved in such a design. Even if one can't do the math, there are those that can and could have helped prior to finding out the hard way.

Audiotweak: I did not use the MGD rack as a clamp-rack although i could have. It was the same basic rack ( Deluxe Adjustarack ) but not set up to clamp. It still suffered from the darkness and compressed dynamics that you mention. I attribute this to the massive amount of weight / energy storage of each individual shelf.

General public: As to the Grand Prix rack, my thoughts are that the company actually took time to measure, look at the results and refine a product using comparative evaluations performed in a scientific manner. I was not aware that such a product even existed until it was pointed out to me and I wanted to share this information and product just as someone else had shared it with me.

Although all of the design / research test curves might not be posted, some of the figures that were derived during testing were posted. They obviously have the means to do such testing and understand the results given their background. The rack is more "involved" than any other design i've seen, although i will agree, simpler IS sometimes better. Their design deals with resonance transfer, damping, absorption, etc... As far as i can tell, it does this all at the same time and seeks to do so with great efficiency. As i mentioned to Ken Lyon though, i think that the shelves are the weak point of the design and probably need to be changed for best results.

Other than that, buy and use what you want. I've never suggested anything less than that in any of my posts. I say this even though i may have negative personal opinions about a product and shared them. We all have different tastes, goals and ways of thinking about things. One has to do what they think best fills their needs.

That is what i did and why i don't have a rack that is a commercially available product. I can't say that it is better than everything ( or anything ) else out there, but i can say that it suits my personal needs better than anything else that i've tried. I think that is what Twl was trying to say and i'm glad that he ( and obviously, more than a few others ) are happy with their purchases and took the time to share their results and findings.

I'll shut up now and hope you can understand where i'm coming from. Sean
>