Best recording / performance Dvorak Cello conc.

in B minor, I think.

I mislaid my penguin guide and I'd like to replace a very old LP (that cost 25 cents) with a CD.

Thanks

Sean
seandtaylor99
Currently, they might be tough to find on either cd or lp, but I would opt for either Gendron/Haitink/London Philharmonic (Philips) or Harrell/Levine/London Symphony (RCA), especially the Gendron/Haitink, beautifully detailed and recorded.
The Fournier/Szell and old sound Casals/Szell as well as Starker/Dorati are widely considered to be the best. If you want a Rostropovich, the DGG BPO/Karajan SACD is historic (in the period of glastnost). I have a tape live with Cleveland Orchestra and Szell in 1969 that beats the DGG easily.
I know this is an old thread, but I was just listening to this concerto and decided to run a sarch on the 'gon to see what has been said about it here.....so......

I have heard 3 versions of this concerto and own 2.
I would rate them in this order:
1. Jacqueline du Pre with Daniel Barenboim conducting Chicago Symphony. This is by far my favorite. I own this and I think this is an absolute "must have".
2. Yo-Yo Ma. Very good playing by Ma, recording quality is good too. I like Ma's interpretation.
3. Rostropovich w/Carlo Maria Giulini on EMI.
Now I just got this disc and I am actually surprised that it really did not meat my expectations. I like Rostropovich, especially his performance of Bach suites, but this particular recording, I think, lacks emotion from Rostropovich and even the orchestra. I actually like the way Rostropovich played Saint-Saens concerto that is on the same CD, but I got kind of dissapointed by the Dvorak.
I would normally rate Rostropovich above Ma, but on this particular concerto, I don't know......

I highly recommend Jacqueline du Pre's Dvorak. As a matter of fact, buy the entire "Jacqueline du Pre: The concerto collection" set, because it is amazing! You won't regret it.
Yeah, Ma on Columbia is very, very good. Second movement horns and clarinets are well-recorded, and Ma does a phenomenal job.
Here's another hands-up for Helmerson/Jarvi on BIS. :) This CD is one of my faves, I keep returning to it. This is very engaging, emotional and simply beautiful. Catalog number is BIS-CD-245 and it's a very early CD, all the way from 1984. It still sounds excellent though, no worries!