Cowboy Junkies

Heard of them for years. Finally, today, just finished listening to the Trinity Sessions cd. I'm freakin out. Can't believe these guys. Do they get better than this? This is an early album, obviously. Their first? Where do I go from here? Thanks in advance. peace,
warren
128x128warrenh
Karls; glad to meet another big Junkies fan-- and nice list. There are 3 others that I have:
* "Studio" Selected recordings 1986-1995. 1996. A nice compilation.
* "Best of Cowboy Junkies". Released by RCA against the Cowboy Junkies wishes. 2001. I felt sort of guilty buying this one, but it is a good compilation.
* "Open Road". This CD was released along with a DVD video and is a recent set of live recordings-- both the CD and DVD are good. Open Road is probably only available from the Junkies web site www.cowboyjunkies.com, or www.maplemusic.com.

To those who casually put the Junkies music in the pop category, I respectfully disagree. In fact, I've never been able to classify their style. To me, it has elements of folk, rock, pop, blues, and country, and it's one of the reasons their music is so fascinating to me. Cheers. Craig
Craig, Karl, all you guys--thanks. I'm on it. Apprecite the posts. I'm a Junkie now....peace, warren
Hey, the Junkies are still batting over 300. Black Eyed man doesn't do it to me like Trinity and Caution Horses. Gots a couple of more on the way. Margo is best when she doesn't try to belt it. She's no Eva Cassidy in that respect. I'm digging her though. Intimate, sweet, provocative voice, with good muscians to boot. I'll keep you posted. You Junkies agree so far? Maybe Black Eyed Man will get better. 'twas only the first listen, though the others did it right away. peace, warren
Warren; while I like the CD "Black Eyed Man", I agree that Margo doesn't have a world class voice. What really appeals to me about her voice is that she can sound intimate and haunting at the same time-- and on much music.

But the real strenth of the Junkies is the way they come together as a band, ie not just a singer standing up in front of a group of studio muscians. To me, Michael Timmins is the most talented member of the band-- he writes much of their music, arranges, produces, and has a very unique lead quitar style.

Also, They have a guy that travels with them that plays (I believe) 5 different instruments-- mandolin, harmonica, and others. How many "pop" bands use these kinds of instruments? The Junkies never cease to entertain me. Glad to hear that you continue to enjoy their music too. Cheers. Craig