Progressive Rock

Have any of you specifically built your system to listen to progressive rock, i.e. Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, etc.? I'm curious because I have, and was wondering what components you have found that lend themselves well to this particular type of music. The reason I asks is that I attended the Home Entertainment show last month in NYC. And not one of the rooms I visited were playing rock of any kind - and they did not seem receptive to taking request - especially at the volume I would need to hear before plunking down oh say $12,000 for a pair of speakers. Any incite you care to share is appreciated. Thanks, Matt...
yes9
Well, since I started this thread I figured I would weigh in. Besides for all the new prog rock suggestions, which I thank you for, I have concluded the following: While I agree that a great system should be able to reproduce any type of music, my question still remains; at what price point? Assuming that most of us have some limit as to what we can spend on this hobby/obsession, some tradeoffs have to be made. For example to reproduce the music I like realistically (using live music as the benchmark as opposed to audiophile values or what just gives me the most enjoyment), requires certain basics. One is large, floorstanding speakers, a larger than "average" amp and yes, even a subwoofer - base pedal afficiados know what I mean - all capable of playing @ 100 decibals+. All of this naturally eats into the budget of say more "resolving" equipment just to provide the necessary shear volume and power. Second, there are practical considerations. I loved the sound/imaging/disappearing act of the Martin Logans I listened to. But you can't ride them at the levels I listen (per 2 dealers) or they are going to simply break eventually. Not to mention the size room needed to set them up properly. In conclusion, I'm going to stick with my current system (12K and running) and just modify and tweak just to keep things interesting. That's not to say I won't listen to the ATCs that Lazarus recommended! If they are good enough for Gabriel and Gilmore - enough said! Thank you all again. Matt......
Yes9 the price point for good quality is always going to be subjective. For what are you willing to settle? I have about about $2300 in my system which I do not consider to be state-of-the-art. BUT it is nearly as good as ALbert Porters system!

Those ATCs are really fantastic speakers. I was in the market for a pair for several months, but could not find any so I grudgingly went another direction. Based on my ML expereince I would prefer the ATCs, but it's always up to the buyer. I'm not sure if Peter Gabriel and David Gilmour went out and bought a pair of them though. They really don't have much control over what the studio happens to buy.
No one mentioned Planet X?...excellent recording for trying out at stores..(it was enginnered/produced by drummer Simpn Phillips)...

I learned, now that I have vintage speakers at home, that its the volume you listen to that make or break the choices...

I play quite loud (to me) and these EV12trxb paper coned coaxes werent meant for pounding rock...but wallah!, they do...When I got my UK plum label LP of Yes' Fragile, my jaw almost dropped..bloody awesome! but if I cranked them up higher, I may tear the cones off the surrounds!..:-),,and I am operating with vintage Mcintosh MC40's or Berning EA-230 tube triode.

the bass is produced by the 12" driver...I am not sure if 8" or less as a midbass/bass driver will give you that visceral feeling, unless your room is small.

and they EV's play classical and Jazz great..I am yet to hear a better rendered piano.
Jsugo, that's my dilema. The Energy Audisey 5+2 speakers I have can literaly take a beating. And they pound out all the base required for the job. Energy also stocks parts going way back, so even if you do break something, you can order a replacement at a reasonable cost. They also can be placed relatively close to the wall - 18". BUT they are not the word in resolution nor do they image that well compared to the MLs. But I totally agree that the volume you listen at is going to limit speaker options at least in my price range. There is always the lottery!
BTW where did you get the UK plum label recording? Thanks, Matt...
Matt...I found the LP on Ebay,,not terribly expensive, not cheap either.

The one thing is that with speakers, its a pain in the rump to buy and then sell if you dont like,,,at least I ALWAYS buy used, for $$ loss-free turnaround. I find myself more concerned with timbral accuracy, tone, fatigue free for hours of listening, and overall balance...To me, soundstaging and imaging are not that important.. When in a live arena/theatre, that almost doesnt exist, unless your in the first 5 rows of a chamber music performance.

Is it really that important that the guitar be on left/basson right, with the singer 3/4 to the right? as long as the sound makes sense, who cares...

I was going to suggest JBL L-96's or Altec Valencias...teh valencias give you the clarity of horns, plus the 15" woofer...I also dont think that there is a better rock speaker than the JBL L-96...refinement galore (one of the best mids ever made) plus it can take power galore.