The Smallest amp/speaker combination?

I have a small home office that i want to wall mount the smallest available stereo speakers + amp combo. I'd like to keep the budget around $1000 +/- $250.

Any thoughts on any complete systems out there? (besides the bose package which i think is crap) If there isn't anything available commercially as a "package" then what amp/speaker/(subwoofer?) parings do you guys reccomend?
justy
Nakamichi used to make a nice little office/bedroom system which had a CD/Cassette player combo with a small footprint receiver and a pair of small bookshelf speakers. I saw a couple for sale recently but a bit too pricey at 150 to 200. At 150 or less I would go otherwise I'd just pick up something like a used Denon mini system with the Mission speakers.

The old Proton AM/FM radios with the outboard speaker are also nice and have RCA inputs for an external CD players.
Berning Microzotl mated with a 90 dB plus speaker like Acoustic Energey Aegis 1 comes in at about $1100 new. Add a decent older CDP like the Sony S7000 for $200 and you are aweful close to your budget.
The parasound option seems to be the most intriguing as so far ---- Please note that my only source will be my PC based DVD player (SPDI/F + DVI) as well as my PC's sound card - (multiple analog/digitial outputs)

I dont need a CDP or other source - just the amp/preamp and a set of very small mountable kickass speakers (the ability to add a powered subwoofer would be a plus)