amp-preamp considerations.

what are technical concerns[matching]when mating.have c-j prem.140 and am lookink for pre-amp.considering pass-lab x-1 or simaudio p-5.not stuck on either.using adcom gfp-750.looking for improvment on this.also new to tubes,think i would prefer ss.this amp is like having a small heater in da house.any input appreciated.
machine
Of the pre's you mentioned either the pass or as someone else mentioned the CJ premier 18. However, In my opinion you would have been better off with a tube pre and ss amp for which there are many more synergistic matches. Tube amps require more maintenance and are more costly to maintain not the mention the heat issues. In my experience you get most of the tube sound from a tube pre-amp. This is why it is so important to pick the right tube pre-amp. The tube amp is more icing on the cake more inner detail if you will; usually at the cost of bass control.

I have a tube pre with ss amp and love the combo as many on this site have commented and or experienced. However, I love tube amps and I am probably going to purchase a tube amp (CJ premier 140)to replace my MF2500A. Having said all that; I still believe your best sounding solution as well as equipment synergy would be a tube pre-amp like a CJ premier 17/16. In my opinion anything less would compromise the premier 140 and you do not want to do that. Again, just my experience and opinion. Happy listening and by the way great purchase.
A Adcom matched with a CJ??? Wow! Don't let CJ know that, they migh come and tack back their amp :):):) Of course I shouldn't talk, I have done worse in a pinch. But just for a very short while.

I disagree with the SS pre/tube amp combo. Tehcnicanly speaking ( and from my listening experience ) you will lose someting off your highs. And with the Adcom your highs must be a bummer. No offense to you Adcom users out there. I have just found that SS preamps don't match sonicaly with tube amps.

I would seriously consider " any tube pre " in your system, if I were you.......
kt88.the adcom was purchased way prior to the c-j.now that i have bought this tube amp,i am now hoping to find a pre-amp match that will provide the synergy everyone talks about.czbbcl,thought very much about ss amp-tube, pre-amp mating,but decided to try tubes because of all the hype.might even sell c-j to go this route .seeking advise from people with knowledgable,sincere advice.
Machine,

I didn't think you bought the Adcom to match up with the CJ. I was joshing with you :)

The CJ is an excellent piece, as long as you have it, might as well try some tube preamps with it. I don't have a clue what your source is, recomending a pre is a " blind guess " But I would try a CJ Premier 14 or something by ARC. Some people may disagree with me here, but I think a LS22 would be a good match. If you want the sound a little sweeter, try something by VAC.

good luck!
Machine

I have had personnel experience with a tube amp; premier 11a. I sold it because it was not enough power to drive my thiels. I love what tube amps do that is provide the inner detail in the mid to high-end frequencies that ss simply can not do; no hype about it.

The recommendation I made to you is an effort to get you to consider a pre-amp that will first and foremost provide the best sonic solution and provide system synergies as to not cause system matching concerns. You obviously purchased a high-end amp you need to drive that amp with an equally high-end pre-amp which will bring out the best the amp has to offer. You also need to consider front ends as well as cabling. What I am trying to convey is system balance. You do not want to compromise the amp by choking it off with inferior components up stream.

Tube amps by there very nature are high maintenance and you need to provide the care necessary as well as select up-stream components to get the best out of it.Again, happy listening