Music Reference RM9 - user comments please

I am considering of getting a used RM9 for my Merlin-TSM, can any user of the amp comments.
vintage
I run an original RM9 that Roger went through, upgraded and re-tubed with RAM KT88s last summer. The KT88s offer more midrange texture/detail and the bass is superior to the EL34s. The result is a truly outstanding amp.

I'm using the Benckmark DAC-1 with it's level control and it sounds great. Not quite as minimal as Roger's pot in a box, but I like not needing another piece of gear in the chain.
Well I have had the Special Edition and it is a big step up from the MKII - not sure why as the output stage, layout, power supply all remain the same, but Roger completely redesigned the input drivers, making them point-to-point (no more boards) and uses six 6bq7s. The amp outputs 162watts into 8ohms and 200 into 4ohms, so it is more powerful, yet you can still expect 10,000 hours of tube life. This amp is fantastic. Is it better than the CAT JL2? I certainly won't say that; but they are bot first rate and the ergonomic (weight, heat, tube costs) are certainly the RM9 SEs favor. Anyway, I don't know how many of these Roger has left, but he won't be uilding anymore and they are a timeless classic in my book. Like my Merlins, I expect these to be a long time companion.
I have the same RM9 MKI that I bought from Johnny Rutan at the Audio Connection in 1987. I have had it worked on 2 times in 21 years. It is currently tubed out with Genelex Gold Lion re-issues and 1960s Heerlan Plant Amperex E88CC. Make no mistakes about the tubes I tried them all and there is no comparison with the KT88s. I am currently Driving a pair of Merlin MXE's and it sounds to my ear beautiful, super balanced and as pleasant as it gets to listen to. I have heard systems that had $40,000, wrapped up in them and-well sorry I can't help you there. The RM9 is a timeless amp and I will never sell mine. I have an ARS Sonum integrated on the way we'll see how they compare. I say get one and save yourself $10,000.00
I'd like to hear some of the 980 owners of RM9s as to their preference between EL34 and KT88; there seems to be quite a difference of opinion on the issue, and there is a comparison to be made; certainly Roger is not so definitive on the subject. I think in the case of Merlins, their is an expecially strong case to be made for EL34s, but ultimately, it just may be a matter of taste.
Used full range, I much prefer SED 6550 in the RM-9 MkII over the El-34, primarily because of the increased bass drive and impact the 6550 affords. The ultimate choice is, of course, system dependent and influenced by listening preferences. For large scale orchestral works (Mahler, Rachmaninoff, etc.) and full-range speakers, the 6550 does it best for me.