VTL Deluxe pre amp

1 What are the tubes in the VTL Deluxe pre amp?
2 Are any of the tubes more important for sound quality?
3 If so, which ones?

I have a friend who has one but does not know hi fi and I want to buy replacement tubes for him.

thank you
Phil
128x128philjolet
correction only one 12at7 in the deluxe and it would be located on the right end side when facing the preamp.

T.
Thank you guys very much now I know what tubes to buy however, the reason I ask if any of the tubes are more important is because on my Rogue 99 Mark O'brien told me the phono tubes on the left (when looking from the front of the unit) actually contribute to 90% of the sound and the other tubes are not nearly as important. I wonder if the Deluxe pre is the same way, I was just trying to save money for my friend as he is not used to paying $200 to retube a unit.

BTW Asterix, how do you like the Super Deluxe? I heard they were really nice and always wanted to buy one when I had the Deluxe. Was it a big step up?
Hi,

on the vtl deluxe there is only 5 tubes to replace versus 8 for the super del; 4 phono / 2 line /2 12at7.

is your rogue 99 an integrated or single amp?

my integrated uses 2 input signal 12au7 tubes and 6 el34 power output tubes.the signals valves are most crucial.

In the deluxe if you select the phono stage section the 2 12ax7 will be most important/if selecting cd line stage the 2 12au7 will play the main role and the last tube the lone 12at7 is the driver tube which power both (always in play).

the superdeluxe is a real departure from the deluxe,way more balance, open,airier at least from the deluxe I've owned, no comparison,also confirmed what VTL described at that time.

in their original black color.

These are scarI might put mine for sell since I do not need it anymore (just bought my unison research integrated)and thinking to buy a pure phono preamp that my friend is going to let me test.

my unit is mint/unmodified/no scratch and the top case on the separate power supply / main unit has been beautifully professionally repainted in a dark grey color leaving the front plates ce and in demand,
The last one I saw on auction on this site went for $700 +

If your friend uses the deluxe what do you use yourself for preamp right now assuming your rogue is not integrated?

Thierry.
My Rogue 99 is a pre amp with 4 6sn7's and if you buy the phono stage there are 2 12ax7's and you can put 2 of either (the usual) 12ax7, 12at7 or 12au7, depending on the gain you need. Mark told me only one tube in the input and output (I believe that is right) stage handle most of the sound.

Thank you for the helpful comments and I will talk to my friend and see what he wants.

As far as the Super Deluxe goes I am betting my Rogue is better yet (at least I hope so for $3000) and it has remote control. The phono section is supposed to be especially good and it sounds that way to me. I am sure your VTL is very nice and probably a better deal as far as the diminishing returns law goes.

thanks again, these details are not always easy to find.
to enhanced listening...............
there was a test/study conducted a while back from stereophile and absolute sound magazines;
they compared the phono stage in the superdeluxe and the rogue preamp.
the result found that the vtl had a much better harmonics, definition and presentation of the music.....>>

just jocking! :)

now seriously the vtl technology in the superdeluxe is older but unlike the deluxe it was designed specifically with turntable in mind.

meaning most of the money was invested in the phono section mc/mm and the mc section is first notch really.

will test my friend's 2 phono stages one english $2,500 of SS designed the other tube powered.

will see.

when new it cost $3,300 about 10 years ago.

that is one of the reason I still have it until i find a better phono stage it is here to stay.

hope your friend will be happy,aloha! thierry