VTL Deluxe pre amp

1 What are the tubes in the VTL Deluxe pre amp?
2 Are any of the tubes more important for sound quality?
3 If so, which ones?

I have a friend who has one but does not know hi fi and I want to buy replacement tubes for him.

thank you
Phil
128x128philjolet
Philo.Everyone seems to call up Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio.Maybe he has too much sway with systems out there!But I know folks who have bought Hifi from him and I was pleased with some replacement tubes I got.Tell your freind buying some New Old Stock (NOS) tubes explain what they and that especially ina pre they can be way to.I am sure some VTL owner will follow up with set in that pre though.
Hi,

I own a vtl superdeluxe and previously had the deluxe.
depending on what source he will be using most phono/cd then I would spend the money on where I do the listening most.
if cd then the 12au7 are crucial (x2)if I recall.
phono then 12ax7 are important (x2) "

Also you can't neglect the (2 I think) 12at7 valves.
these are the valves in place from what I recall.

choices are wide but for me I would go with:

mullard cv4024 for 12at7 (good price on ebay from UK)
bought 4 for $40

PHONO section:
mullard 12ax7 (common)or GE jg5751(top of line)or rca blackplate etc...(5751 is the factor here)find the bargain and remember you invest for years so worth the money spent.

CD section:
rca cleartop(great valve)still cheap to get,many others though but for the money hard to beat,very open and good for the VTL deluxe since it has a tendency to be thick and heavy on the low end spectrum and not enough high end extention from what I recall(main difference with the superdeluxe which is more open.)

I am sure others will give their input,till then this is mine.

Thierry.
correction only one 12at7 in the deluxe and it would be located on the right end side when facing the preamp.

T.
Thank you guys very much now I know what tubes to buy however, the reason I ask if any of the tubes are more important is because on my Rogue 99 Mark O'brien told me the phono tubes on the left (when looking from the front of the unit) actually contribute to 90% of the sound and the other tubes are not nearly as important. I wonder if the Deluxe pre is the same way, I was just trying to save money for my friend as he is not used to paying $200 to retube a unit.

BTW Asterix, how do you like the Super Deluxe? I heard they were really nice and always wanted to buy one when I had the Deluxe. Was it a big step up?
Hi,

on the vtl deluxe there is only 5 tubes to replace versus 8 for the super del; 4 phono / 2 line /2 12at7.

is your rogue 99 an integrated or single amp?

my integrated uses 2 input signal 12au7 tubes and 6 el34 power output tubes.the signals valves are most crucial.

In the deluxe if you select the phono stage section the 2 12ax7 will be most important/if selecting cd line stage the 2 12au7 will play the main role and the last tube the lone 12at7 is the driver tube which power both (always in play).

the superdeluxe is a real departure from the deluxe,way more balance, open,airier at least from the deluxe I've owned, no comparison,also confirmed what VTL described at that time.

in their original black color.

These are scarI might put mine for sell since I do not need it anymore (just bought my unison research integrated)and thinking to buy a pure phono preamp that my friend is going to let me test.

my unit is mint/unmodified/no scratch and the top case on the separate power supply / main unit has been beautifully professionally repainted in a dark grey color leaving the front plates ce and in demand,
The last one I saw on auction on this site went for $700 +

If your friend uses the deluxe what do you use yourself for preamp right now assuming your rogue is not integrated?

Thierry.