upgrading to seperates

currently i own a denon 5800 home theater receiver. i would like to make the change to seperates. i am willing to spend 1500-2000 on each component. i cannot buy them both at the same time. should i buy a pre/pro first and use the denon as an amp, or buy the amp/amps first.
mcalarco1
Personally, I would select the amp first. The Denon will give you HT & Processing. A higer quality amp can make music more revealing and give you the added power and impact for HT. However,I think for $2K, you might be able to buy an excellent amp AND pre/pro on Audiogon. Then you can sell your Denon.
A nice 5 channel amp in the $2000.00 range would be the Classe CAV-150. I sold one in mint condition not to long ago for that price. Try and buy the newer version, they've been making these awhile.
Agreed, buy an amp first, that't how I did it as well. Lots of choices out there for $2K, so take your time and read, then listen, then buy:)

GL.

m-

I did the same thing last year. Definitely buy the amp first and get good interconnects.

My choices were the Sunfire Cinema Grand and the B&K Reference 30. Both within your range if you get them on Audiogon.

J