What is the best two channel SACD player for $1500

I am currently using a Sony C555ES SACD player that is six years old. I have a Cambridge 840A V2 integrated amp and Totem Sttaf speakers. Can I significantly upgrade my SACD player for $1500.00 or less? I am tracking the players currently posted but would like some input.

Dmg
dmg
Nope. I fully agree with your definition. I was trying to point out that one cannot generalize among all Stereophile reviewers.

Kal
Rar1,

Thanks for this thoughtful reply. I do have the concern you mentioned and several others. The amp and speakers are new and I want to maxamize them.The player is old and a natural place to look to upgrade. I'm exploring whether or not I can.

Dmg
Hi Dmg,

I had the feeling that you and I were looking at a similar issue.

What I don't know are what your tastes in music are like. If you do not buy a lot of classical music, you are not buying many SACDs. I listen to a lot of opera and have maybe 10 or so opera SACDs (or said differently there are only 10 or so opera SACDs). I also listen to folk, country, and 60's/70's rock. After the Dylan, Stones, Genesis, and Elton John re-issues, I am not holding my breath for any other major re-issues. That's why once my SONY passes on, that will most likely be it for me with SACD players.

If you find yourself with a substantial number of SACDs, I would look at the SONY 5400. If not, then the redbook CD players that I mentioned above are where I would start looking. I would hold on to the SONY for the occasional SACD playback. I am in the middle of a major Dylan re-discovery, so my SONY is seeing some action.

Let us know how you make out with all this.

Best regards,

Rich
Hello,

90% of my listening is SACD.My player does a poor job in the CD format, so the % is skewed.The vast majority of my SACD's are classical- both symphonic and impressionistic. Others include Keb Mo,Diana Krall,Ray Charles,Ella Fitzgerald and some 70"s rock. I am considering the player you mentioned. I will probably choose a two channel player. I will certainly stay in touch. Thanks again.

Regards,

Dmg

Rich,

Can you please comment on the Sony XA9000ES? Is that worth considering?

Regards,

David