What is the best two channel SACD player for $1500

I am currently using a Sony C555ES SACD player that is six years old. I have a Cambridge 840A V2 integrated amp and Totem Sttaf speakers. Can I significantly upgrade my SACD player for $1500.00 or less? I am tracking the players currently posted but would like some input.

Dmg
dmg

Showing 2 responses by rar1

I am not sure how much you can improve the SACD performance of the SONY C555ES. At the time of its release (2000), its SACD performance was rated an A+ by Stereophile.

Is your concern more about owning an aging SACD player that has reported problems with some of its moving parts and seems to be only repairable at SONY's Laredo facility? It's a legitimate concern ... I have the same one, as my SONY C555ES is now 8 years old.

What I did was to purchase a redbook CD player for most of my cd playing and to just use the SONY for SACD playing. In addition to my SONY, I own a Rega Apollo CD player and a Musical Fidelity CD Pre 24 (preamp/ cd player combo) that I rotate between two of my systems. The other equipment is a Prima Luna Prologue 5 tube amplifier and Opera Platea floorstanders.

When the SONY finally does go, I don't know if I will replace it with another SACD player. I own 300 or so SACD discs, but only a dozen or so SACD only discs. Yeah, there are differences between redbook and SACD, but not at a level that I get too worked up about.

For my $1500, I would look to purchase the best redbook player that you can that would work with your equipment ... Rega Apolllo, Cambridge Audio 840, Musical Fidelity A.5, or Naim.

Best regards,

Rich
Hi Dmg,

I had the feeling that you and I were looking at a similar issue.

What I don't know are what your tastes in music are like. If you do not buy a lot of classical music, you are not buying many SACDs. I listen to a lot of opera and have maybe 10 or so opera SACDs (or said differently there are only 10 or so opera SACDs). I also listen to folk, country, and 60's/70's rock. After the Dylan, Stones, Genesis, and Elton John re-issues, I am not holding my breath for any other major re-issues. That's why once my SONY passes on, that will most likely be it for me with SACD players.

If you find yourself with a substantial number of SACDs, I would look at the SONY 5400. If not, then the redbook CD players that I mentioned above are where I would start looking. I would hold on to the SONY for the occasional SACD playback. I am in the middle of a major Dylan re-discovery, so my SONY is seeing some action.

Let us know how you make out with all this.

Best regards,

Rich