Worst Rock Band Ever !!!!

Who was/is the worst?
david99
Many of ya'll may be too young to have seen/heard Big Brother & The Holding Company live. Believe me when I tell you, you have never heard anything as bad. I had to leave the ballroom.
@bdp24 Hopefully that wasn't when they recorded Cheap Thrills with Janice Joplin.

@dgarretson, I realize mine is a minority opinion, but yes, it was in the Summer of '68 I saw/heard them live. The guys in Big Brother exemplified everything that was wrong with hippie musicians, and Janis was doing her standard "shrieking/screeching" style of white-girl Blues "singing". You know, trying too hard to be "soulful". Cheap Thrills was produced by John Simon; John also produced the first two superlative Band albums, so the blame can't be laid at his feet. Hey, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. ;-)

For anyone who wants to hear how it CAN be done, give a listen to Lou Ann Barton. She has a few solo albums, and often tours with Jimmie Vaughan. She was the singer in the original version of Double Trouble, when Stevie Ray was "only" playing guitar in the band. Her fantastic Old Enough album was produced by Glenn Frey and Jerry Wexler, Wexler Aretha's producer at Columbia Records. Now THERE'S a great white woman Blues singer.

Oops, I of course meant to say Wexler was Aretha’s producer at Atlantic Records. After Columbia failed to figure out what to do with her, Wexler got Aretha out of her contract with them and took her down to Muscle Shoals, putting her in Fame Studios with that studio’s house band, known amongst musicians as The Swampers, the best R & B band ever in the opinion of those who matter. He did the same with other Atlantic singers: Wilson Pickett, Solomon Burke, Dusty Springfield, buncha others, and took Dylan down there too, for his found God albums.

Before all that, Wexler had produced Ray Charles, Big Joe Turner (one of my all-time favorite singers. I saw and heard him in the mid-80’s at Club Lingerie on Sunset Blvd., backed by a "pretty good" white Blues band, The Blasters), Dr. John, Ruth Brown (SUCH a great singer) and LaVerne Baker (a fantastic singer, check her out). So he knew just what he was getting in Lou Ann, and exactly the musical environment to create for her. Great material, a great band, and a great singer; that’s "all" it takes. ;-)

Sorry, imo Janis was not a great singer, or even a good one. And the Big Brother musicians were absolutely dreadful (what could be worse than a hippie garage band?!). Even her contemporaries were telling her that, and that she should dump them. She stood by them though, until she just couldn’t anymore. She hired The Full Tilt Boogie Band, and that was more like it. The band’s piano player, Richard Bell, was later a member of The Band. What a contrast from the clowns in Big Brother!

Hey, if you wanna hear a really great white male R&B singer from the relatively modern era, listen to Willy DeVille (and the band he debuted in, Mink DeVille). He unfortunately developed a nasty little drug habit, which effected his career. He collaborated with Doc Pomus, Allen Toussaint, Dr. John, and Jack Nitzsche (Phil Spector’s arranger and orchestrator, and Neil Young’s piano player on the Harvest album). I would have loved to hear Willy and Amy Winehouse duet, but they’re both dead.