Usher Be 718 or Kitty Kat Revelators?

I am looking for a high quality monitor to stand close to the rear wall - no more than 2 feet - that will image and soundstage as a "regular" non/rear-ported speaker would at the Cardas magic point (5 feet in my 11 X 12 foot room)- which I cannot logistically do in this room. I have read rave reviews about both the new Usher Be 718, which was a wow at the HE 2007 and also the Kitty Kat Revelator. Any comments from anybody who has actually tried/listened to the Ushers close to the wall? From the photos of the show, they seemed to have been placed a few feet from the rear wall. Just because a speaker is front-ported, does not mean that it will image well against a wall? Correct? That's why I need real-word ears to tell me. System: APL 3910; Spacedeck; Shelter 501; Eastern Electric Minimax Phono-pre; Jadis DA 88 Signature.
springbok10

Showing 2 responses by semi

Current owner of BE-718 and have them placed 2' from back wall as well. All I can say is "wow". I have owned too many speakers in life (30+ pairs), BE-718 stands up against anything.

The most amazing part is the amount of detail at low volume, something you will not get with lower efficiency speakers. Bass is very tuneful and quick, very deep and good weight for the speaker size. BE tweeter is very detail, I have never heard violin music reproduced so beautifully. Tons of leading edge details, percussion has snaps and the quickness you don't hear on other speakers, decay is a little shorter but I attribute that to the faster response time of BE tweeter and not a shortcoming.

All in all, one of the finest monitor I have heard. I have owned Sonus Faber EA1, EA2, Guarneri Homage, Acoustic Energy AE1 Signature, Dynaudio Contour 1.3SE, and too many others that I can't remember. I only listed out monitors, I have owned more floor standers.
BTW, I posted a long reply to one of the BE-718 thread, but my reply never showed up. I stated the many strengths of BE-718 when compared to other speakers from my memory. Too bad.