Upgrade path from Wilson WattPuppy 7s? - seeking advice

I have a McIntosh system with a 275 tube amp, plus some PS Audio equipment. I play many different kinds of music - from Joe Bonamassa to Johannes Brahms.

I like the analytical quality of the WP 7's. They do seem to lack some midrange and do reproduce rock as well as some other speakers. So I previewed the following at Paragon Sound in Ann Arbor, and the price is a consideration. Here are my thoughts but am seeking advice:

(1) B&W 802 D3 - Better with rock, a bit mellow and not as analytical as the WP 7's. Better midrange than my current speakers.
(2) Wilson Alexia 1 - A bit pricey even with a hefty discount. Of interest, I found some of the higher resolution music files to be reproduced with too much complexity. The ability to discriminate transients, a feature of the WP speakers, seem to be diminished in the more elaborate sound provided by these speakers.

Any other suggestions? I do not want to spend a great deal of money, but have the ability if necessary.

Thanks in advance for any advice - Gerry
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xgerryah930
Off the track as I expected.  First off Dave, I have fallen in love with Vandersteen's for my purposes.  I have been that way about all the gear I buy, just like most of us.  I happen to know many in the industry as I've been into it since the late 60's.  I'll always post kind things about dealers around the country I've met if they are good.   

I won't get involved in your 'mine is bigger than yours' argument with Gpg.  He's just a poster and not pushing products he sells to make a living, so I'll just leave it at that.

You did make one comment in an earlier post that really rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe it's because of who I am, but I was in sales for years after my Navy retirement.  I only stopped due to my MS about 11 years ago.  I NEVER can remember a time that I EVER laughed about a customer or potential customer after I left them.  Ever.  Many of them I would shake my head and try to see their side. I'd wonder why they felt the way they did.  I can be very snarky, but I also like to think I respect folks too.  I have spoken to Matt and even said that maybe I'd go to your shop with him someday when I can get down there, but honestly, that comment made me realize that the second I left, you'd probably laugh at me and make fun of me.  I'm sure it's just me, but you lost any credibility you may have had with me.  Not that it matters to you of course.
Off the track as I expected.  First off Dave, I have fallen in love with Vandersteen's for my purposes.  I have been that way about all the gear I buy, just like most of us.  I happen to know many in the industry as I've been into it since the late 60's.  I'll always post kind things about dealers around the country I've met if they are good.  

I won't get involved in your 'mine is bigger than yours' argument with Gpg.  He's just a poster and not pushing products he sells to make a living, so I'll just leave it at that.

You did make one comment in an earlier post that really rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe it's because of who I am, but I was in sales for years after my Navy retirement.  I only stopped due to my MS about 11 years ago.  I NEVER can remember a time that I EVER laughed about a customer or potential customer after I left them.  Ever.  Many of them I would shake my head and try to see their side. I'd wonder why they felt the way they did.  I can be very snarky, but I also like to think I respect folks too.  I have spoken to Matt and even said that maybe I'd go to your shop with him someday when I can get down there, but honestly, that comment made me realize that the second I left, you'd probably laugh at me and make fun of me.  I'm sure it's just me, but you lost any credibility you may have had with me.  Not that it matters to you of course.
I agree with Ct about laughing at a customer after they left. Dave. Are you that arrogant to do something so childish? I've seen young bitchy little teenage girls do stuff like that, but from a grown man working with customers? Get real. You also talk about what great values $35k speakers are. I don't recall you talking about more real world systems that cost far less than $35k for a whole setup. That is where I think a majority of potential customers are. I'm not in the business like you but as a "hobbyist" for almost 50 years I've listened to many systems of all price ranges and know good sound when I hear it...
To both CT and Mr M, what you are talking about in terms of laughing at a client never actually happened! I was not speaking literally, as a professional salesman you have to put up with a lot of charachters, some people you can understand, and work with, and others you just can’t.

We did discuss the know it all customers, who were not open to coaching and keept on making the same mistakes over and over again, purchasing and repurchasing components, always chasing their tails because they didn’t know what they were doing, or thought they knew more then the sales staff did.

Gndrbp does nothing but attack me and my and my staff, over and over again, which makes me have to resort to long winded explanations and ancedotal evidence to prove him wrong and back up my postions.

The entire sales staff at my store, SBS or Innovative, never sat around and cackled at annoying, or know it all clients. I mentioned this to prove a point.

Ctstooner, you have mentioned your high ranking position with the Navy, do you think I would know 1/100th about the Navy as you do? If we were talking about technology, Navel strategy or deployment I would defer to your superior experience in both deference and respect for your position.

I may have watched specials on Navel history, Ctstooner but I would never even begin to challenge a Navy man with my knoweldge about that subject, instead I would sit and listen to you about all things about Navel operations.

I might quite Robert Mcnammara, but I would never pretend to be as knowledgable as you, I could reference the British Navy under Trafalgar, but again, book knowlege and TV knowledge isn’t the same thing as real world experience.

Do you see my point? There is a difference between having a personal preference which I can respect, and being an unrelenting jerk who attacks another person out of spite.

To state that the Personas are not world class speakers when Jeff Dougay of Tone Audio who has reviewed quite a number of speakers said that the "Personas are world class and competitive with six figure loudspeakers, " and Anthony Cordesman, said the Personas are among the best speakers he has heard, states catagorically that the product is that good.

Now personal taste is personal taste, but Ctstooner, I have invited you into my shop to see for yourself if you might actually prefer the Personas over the Vandersteens and for whatever reason you seem not to be interested.

You have said you have heard the Personas before and not liked them, that maybe true, but as I commented you didn’t hear my setup, as I have also told you I didn’t like the Personas, when I first heard them at another dealers shop as well.

Setup is key, John Rutan is a very good setup guy, and so am I, many others who sell this kind of gear are not.

When I mentioned that one couple drove four hours to hear our setup after not liking the Personas where they heard them, and subsequently purchased a set of the Persona 9H and a T+A amplifier says a lot about setup quality.

Mr. M. you have also not read the majority of our posts.

The Persona line starts at $7,000.00 for a bookshelf speaker with a 7 inch pure Beryilium midrange, which is a driver usually seen in $15-20k reference monitors not ones that someone can actually afford.

They also have a $10k floor stander the 3F which are also remarkable.

I talk about ATC speakers $2,500.00 a pair and $4,000.00 a pair.

I talk about Legacy Focus Signatures $7,000.00 a pair which can compete with many $15k loudspeakers.

I have talked about Nuprime’s outstanding IDA 8 which is $995.00 and it is amazing.

The point I am making is I design and setup systems from all price ranges.

If you care to watch our 2 year old store video you will see tons of affordable gear, from $500.00 pairs of Kef, $800.00 PSB and tons of other great and affordable gear.

(this video was shot before we got the Paradigm Personas and the T+A gear)

My store sells streaming speakers from Paradigm and NAD for $500 and we go all the way up to our two reference rigs with the Kef Blades and the Personas which are both really expensive systems.

As per value, yes $35k is a lot of money for a set of loudspeakers, but if that $35k pair of loudspeakers can compete with ones that sell for $58k or $70k or $120k a pair then believe it or not that speaker even at $35k is a bargain!

High end audio can be very expensive it can also be remarkably affordable, we sell tons of affordable stuff from NAD, Micromega, KEF, PSB, Dali, April Music and Naim to name a few.

Check out our store video and see what is there we have four sound rooms chock full of gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NPIn3pEmI4

Look at our posts on Facebook you can see four different integrated amplifiers from Anthem, Naim, Micromega, and Nad, you can see ATC speakers and Legacy models.https://www.facebook.com/Audio-Doctor-High-End-Audio-Boutique-122499304489958/

Believe it or not Mr M our mission is to seek outstanding products at great values at all levels and price ranges now compare our store to some of the storried NY City stores such as Ears Nova, Audio Arts or Rhapsody check out Rhapsody’s store video and see if you can find a system in their store for $1,000.00 I doubt you will, however, you can find several setups in our shop for $1,000.00 for a complete system!

Dave owner
Audio Doctor NJ