This One has Me Stumped

I recently purchased a Pass XP-12 to replace my aging ML 38s. After installation, I noticed gobs of high frequency distortion, especially in Operatic female voices.

I measured every component in the signal chain separately. All are performing in spec.The XP-12 has very impressive test results.

Re-installing the 38s gets me immediately back to more mellow sound.

In my system, I have an EQ and crossover between the XP-12 and my Bryston 2.5b^3 power amp. I removed the EQ and the XO, plugging the XP-12 directly into the power amp. The distortion remains.

I am puzzled. I am a measurement guy. I use REW extensively. I can measure and troubleshoot almost any problem in my system. This one is a stumper.

Can anybody suggest a measurement or a way to solve this apparent component mismatch?

My system in order from source to output :

Shelter 901 MKIII MC or Koetsu RS MC cartridges

Parasound Zphono XRM phono preamp

Technics SL-1200G TT

Oppo BDP-105 Universal player (digital)

Bryston BDA-3 D/A ( feeds the Oppo signal to the XP-12 or 38s)

Sansui TU-X1 tuner

XP-12 (38s) line amp

dBx 1231 EQ

Rane AC22 2 way crossover

Bryston 2.5B^3 power amp

Usher 604 floorstanding speakers

HSU ULS-15 sub (when using the XO)

Thanks,

Kevin

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xkevemaher

well - issue is that the XP-12 has a VERY high output impedance (22k ohms).  That'll certainly cause the distortion you are hearing.  The recommended input impedance for the amplifier should be 10 TIMES the output impedance of the pre and unfortunately, the Bryston's is only 30k ohms.   Send the Pass packing... 

Must be your tuner, you better sell it to me. not that there is anything wrong with my TU-9500, but I do like the TU-X1 looks better ;-)   ok maybe I'm a bit jealous as they are hard to find priced reasonably, mind you probably the best tuner ever made.   

Actually, the input impedance is 22k ohms while the output impedance is 25 ohms RCA and 50 ohms XLR, therefore an easy load for virtually any amp.

Tough one. Have you tried different ICs?

Take the pass to a friends house and see if the problem follows you.  Sounds like you think you can measure what is causing the problems, yet you don't know what is causing the problems.  Right now you have no solid evidence that the Pass preamp is working correctly and lots of evidence that it isn't.

jerry

Your source is probably overdriving the preamp. Does this happen with digital sources as well?