Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
Jafant, et al,

I have Thiel CS3.6 serial numbers 0309 & 0310, they are a black laminate exterior.
Rob @CSS guessed they were built around 1992.

Barely into the ownership but they are being powered by a McIntosh C22 Mark 5 pre and MC462 amp which are both new and have a ways to go before reaching maximum performance. I’m guessing the speakers are going back into a warm up mode also since they had been sitting idle for few years.

My past equipment has been all over the place from high to low end, tube and SS, component to integrared, mostly depending upon how stationary I was at the time. Early 1960’s childhood was exposure to my parents Leak Varislope 3 tube pre and TL/12 tube amp with signals fed by Tandberg 64X or a Garrard 301 (I still have and use the 301). This emptied out into Wharfedale W4 Airedale speakers. The speakers are long gone and the Tandberg lost, I still have the Leak pre & amp.

Just getting into the vinyl & CD collection for burn in, musical taste range from classical to country. I can’t explain why but I like Hank Williams Sr, then I’ll follow up with Maria Callas, and finish the session with the Romones...
duegi

Thank You for the follow up and citing CS 3.6 S/N.  You have assembled a very nice system. There are a few McIntosh fans and owners here on the Panel.

Nice musical tastes as well.

Happy Listening!
-J.A.
@sdl4The sound of the Vovox Sonorus was markedly different!
Hi Sdl4, could you share the details of your system - DAC, preamp, amp, etc.?

I apologize if I missed it in an earlier post. jafant has done a great job with this thread and I do not always keep up!

I run Thiel CS5i's and am searching for that last bit of live sparkle and found your post to be interesting for that reason. 

Thanks for listening,

Dsper
@duramax or anyone else
I am intrigued by the idea of outriggers for my CS5i's.  What I do not understand is, with a nearly 200 pound speaker, how can one expect the outriggers to sound superior to the original Thiel spikes?

This is not intended to offend but to understand the value of outriggers. I would assume the floor contact points being further from the actual base of the speakers provides a noticeable sonic effect? Or...?

Thanks for listening, 

Dsper

Any point or points will work most effectively inside the confines of the outer dimensions of the speaker base. An outrigger mounted to any speaker is to add stability and greatly reduce any chance for a speaker with a high center of gravity from falling over. Sonics are not a benefit only stability and safety will benefit under a tall narrow speaker. There are platforms that can be mounted and secured to a speaker base  that have direct coupled points that be placed inside the outline of most any speaker which will certainly improve the sonics.  I have sold and installed several pairs of CS 5s in the past and they sound best when direct coupled to the inside of their base .
Tom
Tone Acoustics
Star Sound Technologies