Technics sr u 1000 ... vs Accuphase e-480

Two different animals, yes... two different approaches... two different aesthetics... 

I get all that.  

A new Technics 1000 costs about the same as a used Accuphase e-480... 

My thoughts - and questions - revolve around the Technics as having more advanced technology and possibly at least as good of sound quality (?) warm-side-of-neutral perhaps for a cheaper price than the more old-school Accu... the Tech can even monitor and customize the output to individual speakers' impedances... 

but the Accu is such jewelry and has the nice old-school touches like actual knobs for bass/treble and such, plus a modular DAC (although supposedly the internal dacs of the Technics are superb).  That said, the Technics is pretty nice to look at as well.

I'm less concerned about phono playback, btw, although supposedly the Tech already has a great phono section built in and the Accu would require a further purchase of a modular phone section as well as the further purchase if desire a dac for it... 

Thoughts? 

curtdr

I have the Technics SU-G700M2 and would love to be able to upgrade to the SR-U1000 but I can't afford to. There's something wonderful with the sound Technics is getting these days. For me, it would be no contest, get the Technics.

All the best,
Nonoise

@curtdr 

Here is a cursory synopsis of the Technics from What Hifi review. No doubt both this and the time tested Accuphase 480 amplifier have very happy owners. What is the likelihood of hearing either/both and judging directly?

What Hi-Fi? Verdict

Technics’ top integrated amplifier is a breathtakingly ambitious technological marvel, and an entertaining listen too

Pros

• +

Innovative engineering

• +

Strong feature set

• +

Bold, entertaining sound

Cons

• -

Lacks rhythmic precision and dynamic punch

• -

Sound staging could be more expansive

There are two things your ears can't enjoy:

• Resale value
  • Sense of modernity

An impedance compensating digital amplifier certainly is more modern, but without hearing it myself I have no idea if it's worth anything to my ears.  Same for the idea of measuring gear based on retail potential.

@nonoise

@erik_squires 

@charles1dad 

Thank you all so far... I’m not as worried about resale potential because I’m looking for a "be done" amp now... I’ve never been a swapper outer really, though I’ve done enough to know that I prefer new amps over vintage gear even refurbished vintage. That said, the e480 isn’t vintage in the sense of an HK 430 or Marantz 2238, and the new Technics ain’t the old Technics though some of that old Technics was great and I’m glad to see they’re back at it... and if I got the e480 and didn’t prefer it, I could likely get as much as I paid for it... so I suppose one trick would be to pony up 20k get at used 480 and a new Tech with 60 day return privs and actually play em side by side, but that’s 20k now, 10 of which could be working for me in mutual funds instead...

As for LOOKS... well, I like ’em both! They’re both gorgeous; different, but gorgeous. I’d be very happy to gaze at either.

But really I’m trying to future proof, finally get the higher level (or higher-enough-for-my-imperfect-but-educated-discerning ears) and be done w the amp... and then with that solid core at that point I can swap in speakers at will, and have fun moving from my updated Epi with their beautiful sweet tweeter and bass that reaches into the inner ear brain, to the Klipsch Heresy IV (or possibly Forte IV... maybe), to the Q Acoustics Concept 50, half a year this one, half that one, maybe eventually settle on the speakers (the EPI are settled; they’re not going anywhere). Beyond that, I need not go.

Truth be told, I already have a Marantz Ruby... lol... so why am I even looking? But, I am looking, and it’s entirely OK if I end up w two systems: match made in heaven Marantz-EPI in the study where I spend a lot of time, studying ;) ... and the Tech or the Accu w the other speakers in the bigger living room.

Indeed, I asked a similar question as the current Tech vs Acc when I got the Ruby, which was the Ruby vs the Accu 480 and the Ruby won that one on sheer value (in addition to excellence). This discussion is now between two similarly priced amps, almost literally exactly as there’s a "like new" Accu 480 for sale right now at the same price (but w/o dac and w/o phone stage) as a new Technics 1000 which does have dac and phone so the Tech is actually slightly less $$ if those considerations are taken...

So I am starting this perhaps-obsessive -- or careful, if that’s a better term -- research and questioning you all now, because I don’t intend to do it again two or five or ten years from now; once I have nice stuff, I tend to keep it a long time; I mean, I drive a ’99 v-6 Camry w 308k miles on it, and it’s durable, powerful enough for all my purposes, gorgeous, user friendly, comfortable, smooth and easy to drive, just like I like my amps. See what I’m saying?

So I am really appreciating the inputs already from this community, so thank you! Those who have insights or experience, ideas for me to consider other than a bunch of other amps which I know there’s a whole universe, I’m just focused on these two now, keep it coming please!

@curtdr 

if I got the e480 and didn’t prefer it, I could likely get as much as I paid for it... so I suppose one trick would be to pony up 20k get at used 480 and a new Tech with 60 day return privs and actually play em side by side,

If feasible, I’d take this path. Direct comparison within your audio system is the best possible scenario. I wish you well in this endeavor.

Charles

I have an E-470, and I have to say that it is an absolute joy to listen to, the features are all very useful and it’s built to the highest and most precise standards that I’ve ever seen in an audio component. While the impedance sensing and compensating circuit on the Technics might very well be a legit and useful feature, the Accuphase will handle low impedance speakers with ease and loads of reserve.

~Oran

Loved the SU-R1000 enough to haul one back from Japan. 
Saved enough to pay for air ticket and many many fancy meals. 

@johnsonwu 

Interesting!  A new Accuphase could be had in this manner too... and yes, that SU-R1000 as well which I hadn't even thought of.  I've never been to Japan, so it might make for a nice trip...

But, isn't the voltage different for Japan models than for American?  What did you do about that issue?  I've read up on it and have gotten conflicting reports: a. don't bother pony up buy an American version from the get go. b. have it modified by a competent shop, a simple rewire apparently in the Accu anyway.  c. use an external voltage modifier (and , of course like all things audio, conflicting claims of "affects the sound" vs. "totally indiscernible affect."   How did you handle it?  

I’m sure some people here will start firing torpedoes but as far as I know this amp has a switching power supply that takes up less than 60W and I see no difference in heat or sound whether I plug it into the wall straight for through $70 Amazon step down 100V which doesn’t vibrate or heat up after weeks of continuous up time For other Japanese imports I have I would never do that.

btw I am of the step up step down “absolutely affects the sound” camp for traditional class A or AB amps that draw some few hundred watts and dim your room lights when powering on.   But not for something that draws less than an Alienware computer. 

You plug your laptop when you’re at a hotel overseas don’t you?

Japan is 110V, 60 Hz west of the Fujigawa river and 110V, 50Hz, east of the river. Go figure. You can basically operate anything made in the US over in Japan without dire consequences but the same doesn't hold for the other way 'round. 

Having said that, any decent step down transformer should be able to handle something like the Technics SU-R1000. I wish johnsonwu the best of luck with his new Technics, and I envy the discount he got. 😄

All the best,
Nonoise

I came across this, this morning:

2022 Golden Ear: Technics SU-R1000 Reference Class Integrated Amplifier

• by Anthony Cordesman

Technics SU-R1000 Integrated Amplifier

Technics SU-R1000 Reference Class Integrated Amplifier

$9499

Having said this, my final selection is the Technics SU-R100. Its phono cartridge optimizer is another demonstration of what digital correction and processing can do—even to the front-end component that most audiophiles treat as anti-digital. I think it does a very good job of getting the best out of a given cartridge, even though its “English” instructions have their limits. More broadly, it has one of the best-sounding digital amplifiers I’ve encountered and a very-good-sounding set of digital coax and optical inputs. Neutral rather than warm, it has lots of detail and really good dynamics for a unit of 150Wpc (8 ohms) to 300Wpc (4 ohms) output power. Also, it is a compact solution that offers the capabilities that normally require three separate components—no need to invest in interconnects between such components—and it is priced at a very affordable level for a design this advanced. 

Maybe this can help narrow down any decisions.

All the best,
Nonoise