Technics sr u 1000 ... vs Accuphase e-480

Two different animals, yes... two different approaches... two different aesthetics... 

I get all that.  

A new Technics 1000 costs about the same as a used Accuphase e-480... 

My thoughts - and questions - revolve around the Technics as having more advanced technology and possibly at least as good of sound quality (?) warm-side-of-neutral perhaps for a cheaper price than the more old-school Accu... the Tech can even monitor and customize the output to individual speakers' impedances... 

but the Accu is such jewelry and has the nice old-school touches like actual knobs for bass/treble and such, plus a modular DAC (although supposedly the internal dacs of the Technics are superb).  That said, the Technics is pretty nice to look at as well.

I'm less concerned about phono playback, btw, although supposedly the Tech already has a great phono section built in and the Accu would require a further purchase of a modular phone section as well as the further purchase if desire a dac for it... 

Thoughts? 

curtdr

@curtdr 

if I got the e480 and didn’t prefer it, I could likely get as much as I paid for it... so I suppose one trick would be to pony up 20k get at used 480 and a new Tech with 60 day return privs and actually play em side by side,

If feasible, I’d take this path. Direct comparison within your audio system is the best possible scenario. I wish you well in this endeavor.

Charles

I have an E-470, and I have to say that it is an absolute joy to listen to, the features are all very useful and it’s built to the highest and most precise standards that I’ve ever seen in an audio component. While the impedance sensing and compensating circuit on the Technics might very well be a legit and useful feature, the Accuphase will handle low impedance speakers with ease and loads of reserve.

~Oran

Loved the SU-R1000 enough to haul one back from Japan. 
Saved enough to pay for air ticket and many many fancy meals. 

@johnsonwu 

Interesting!  A new Accuphase could be had in this manner too... and yes, that SU-R1000 as well which I hadn't even thought of.  I've never been to Japan, so it might make for a nice trip...

But, isn't the voltage different for Japan models than for American?  What did you do about that issue?  I've read up on it and have gotten conflicting reports: a. don't bother pony up buy an American version from the get go. b. have it modified by a competent shop, a simple rewire apparently in the Accu anyway.  c. use an external voltage modifier (and , of course like all things audio, conflicting claims of "affects the sound" vs. "totally indiscernible affect."   How did you handle it?  

I’m sure some people here will start firing torpedoes but as far as I know this amp has a switching power supply that takes up less than 60W and I see no difference in heat or sound whether I plug it into the wall straight for through $70 Amazon step down 100V which doesn’t vibrate or heat up after weeks of continuous up time For other Japanese imports I have I would never do that.

btw I am of the step up step down “absolutely affects the sound” camp for traditional class A or AB amps that draw some few hundred watts and dim your room lights when powering on.   But not for something that draws less than an Alienware computer. 

You plug your laptop when you’re at a hotel overseas don’t you?