SET amp hum problem

I'm listening to Wright 3.5 SET amps through Klipsch La Scala's, and have a considerable hum through the speakers. Just to be clear, there is no hiss--only an electrical hum. Had this problem with my previous amps, but I floated the ground with a 3-into-2 adaptor and it completely eliminated the hum. The problem is that these amps have only a 2 prong, captured power cord. Any suggestions? I know many people can tune this out, but it bothers me enough to sell them if I cannot eliminate it. Thank you for your suggestions.
128x128boa2

Showing 1 response by gs5556

Best thing to do is email George Wright. He will get back to you. Before you do, there's a couple of things to try. Replace the 6SN7's with new ones. Bad driver tubes will cause hum. Check the polarity of your outlets with one of those three-light plug testers. A reversed hot/neutral could cause the hum also. Power up the amps with just the speakers connected - to eliminate the possibility of ground loop from the IC cables. Mention to George you tried these.

I also have the 3.5's - and mine are dead quiet (although my speakers are less than 90db sensitive). There are a lot of could-be's if it's the amps, and only George can help.