Rippling cones

So after much research and advice seeking here, I made the move to vinyl.
Decided to go with a simple to set up, complete, system as I learn my way. 

I noticed the cones on my KEF LS50s rippling at anything above low listening levels.
This happens only when playing records.   The same music from CD or streaming seems ok (no visual rippling).

Is this potentially damaging to speakers?

Background hiss/pops is noticeable.  Not sure if that is a cause.  This is my first turntable.
My other speakers have grilles so haven't noticed/paid attention to this until rotating in the LS50s.

I pulled the grilles off 3 other speakers and noticed the same thing.

Gear:

Rega RP8 with stock Exact MM cartridge --> Vincent PHO 8 --> Bryston BP26 pre --> Ampzilla 2000 2nd Edition monoblocks

Other speakers tried:
B&W 801 Matrix S2s, Harbeth  SHL5+ 40s, Rogers LS3/5As

There doesn't seem to be much adjustment available on this turntable.

Anyone else encounter this?

Thanks!

hleeid
You need to have a subsonic filter to remove the low rumble from the table, it removes the ultra low bass that causes the rippling or overexcursion in the bass driver.
mijostyn.
@cleeds , I respectfully disagree on this one. I have a number of records on which the rumble is atrocious. All records have some rumble to an extremely variable degree from almost dead quiet to ridiculous ...
If an LP is "almost dead quiet," then it does not really suffer from rumble. I agree that some records do have LF noise in varying degrees, but none of them require a rumble filter in my system, which is essentially flat in-room to a bit below 20 hZ.

@mijostyn we know you rely on aggressive LF filtering in your system, which you’ve previously explained suffers from several LF issues. The strangest of them are the low frequencies that are below the bass fundamentals. You really should consider trying to isolate the causes behind those issues. I think I recall that you’re buying a new turntable or pickup arm, so perhaps you’ll get lucky and get a better result with the new gear.

Rumble filters are an easy fix for a problem that can almost always be remedied at the source.
A subsonic filter is a good thing. I've had albums 'pump' the woofers and it's a bit disconcerting. Now the filter is set at 15Hz and it is gone. LPs do vary on how much rumble.
Still as millercarbon mentions regarding the Townshend Pods, I'd say your analog setup is plenty good enough to truly benefit from very good suspension.
@cleeds,

“Rumble filters are an easy fix for a problem that can almost always be remedied at the source. “

Certainly not in my case.  I tried every single thing that was suggested to me at that time by members here, nothing worked.  In desperation, I bought the KAB filter and thank God it worked. 
 Report this