Mark Levinson 332 - Buying decision

Hello All,
Happy HolidaysStumbled upon a Mark Levinson 332 for sale.Seller confirms there is no thump when powering on or off. No hum reported and unit is silent when powered.However on checking with him for pops he reports a slight pop when powering on(also mentions handful of relays clicking on at same time)
Please let me know if pop is normal when powering up.? How many speaker protection relays does Mark Levinson 332 have?.
I dont want to buy it and end up with a $2.5k worth door stopper. Request your inputs.
raptor23
I dont want to buy it and end up with a $2.5k worth door stopper.

So,what is the max you are willing to pay for a door stopper?
The point here is to not end up with a door stopper. Hence question about what I’m willing to pay for one is not an option for me.

Post removed 
If the pop is heard only by putting your ear to the speaker, then it is just a symptom of the amplifier’s age, but if it can be heard from the listening position then it’s not normal. The pop is caused by a potential difference in the output voltage rails on startup, bleeding out a small amount of dc. What I would do is check to see the dc offset at startup and then after warm up. If the dc offset on startup jumps to no more than 50 millivolts and then drops to a few millivolts, then the amp is most likely ok. But ML amps usually show a dead zero dc offset and I wouldn’t buy it if it shows more than 10 millivolts of offset after a 20 minute warm up.

Another thing to check would be the rail voltages. Simply measure across an output resistor from the metal case (the collector) to the ground lug or speaker negative. The voltages on all resistors should be exact. If any voltages are off by a even couple of hundred millivolts then it could be a bad trimmer resistor or the trimmer may have to be adjusted. Then that may be all that’s needed to cure the popping and/or dc offset.

The ML amplifiers have a series of speaker protection: thermal, dc offset, high input voltage, overvoltage and short circuit trips. They do not use output relays. The clicking relays on startup are surge protection and input stage isolation. All clicking sounds are normal.

Keep in mind you are looking at a 25 year old amplifier. It costs $1500 just to replace the filter caps — the sucky Phillips made in China caps that are practically guaranteed to fail.

But then again, for $2500 asking price you are getting performance that would require an outlay of 25 grand or more to buy new.
$25k in today’s dollars to match the performance of a 332... are you confusing this amp for the No. 33 monos? Even the 33’s couldn’t hold up to say a Pass 250.8 among a ton of other amps under $10k in today dollars. It’s a good amp but if it hasn’t been recapped I wouldn’t touch it and even then I’d look at newer offerings, from Pass, Parasound, ModWright, Coda and many, many more for SS.
Thanks gs5556 for detailed information.
I remember reading here that caps cost around $500.
https://brainlubeonline.com/mlrepair/

How much of a job is it for an amatuer like me to change caps. I have opened old amps and fixed dry solders in past.

Alternatively how reliable are Krell Class A’s?
Is 300c or 300cx another high maintenance amp which requires constant visits to service and costing $$$$ just to keep em running.
25 years old then needs caps and other parts i would pass big time as it is ancient history