Line Magnetic 110Volt vs 220Volt

Hi,
I am interested in buying a Line Magnetic amp. I checked online and see there are 2 versions: 110V and 220V.
The first one is more expensive than the second. For example, a new LM 518IA (220V) is $1800 new while the LM 518IA (110V) is about $3500 new.

I wonder if there is any difference in quality between 2 versions?
Talking about the inconvenience of having to use power converter, will it be really inconvenient?

Thank you.
Huy.
Ag insider logo xs@2xquanghuy147
Wow that's quite a disparity in price for a different tap on the power transformer, assuming that's all it is. even if its a different transformer 220 v and 115v would be very close to the same price for cost. 

Now if your in NA the 220v version will need a 220v outlet wired in or step up transformer. 

Also check were both prices in USD? I'm thinking the 220v may be in another currency. 
If you're buying new, the huge US markup should get you dealer support and warranty service that might be lost with the cheaper Asia version. Quite a markup to get that though...

At some point I looked heavily at some of the non-US sites, but eventually got scared off by the need of a power converter.  Figured I'd obsess forever about that device's influence on the sound... and that it would hurt my chances of resale.

Please let us know how it goes if you take the plunge, including the voltage transformer you go with...
Hi glennewdick,
I just checked again. The currency is in USD. 

Here is what copy from the website: 
Product Price: $1,735.29 USD
  • Product Model: Model: MUIA9831420
  • Product Weight: Shipping Weight: 35kg
  • Product Quantity: 2 Units in Stock
Please Choose: Color
Rmote Control Yes
Voltage 220V - 240V
Come with Tube cage cover Yes

Hi cal3713,
I'm not sure if I will go with it since I don't want to put the voltage transformer in my system (which will occupy some space). However, the price difference is so tempting :)

For chances of resale, probably it's only easy to sell to buyers in UK or in Asia since they have 230v directly from wall outlet there.

I would say the 220v is a bad choice if you live in the USA, as you will need a transformer and have no dealer support. 

or you can get an electrician to wire a plug to 220vac.

That said I ran a power transformer for years and didn't notice anything with it.

I would not worry about a power transformer there is dozens in the grid just from the plant to your house with one most likely within a block of your house on the pole or on the ground in a big steel box, probably more then one. then you have one min in your amp. Every component in your system most likely has a power transformer so there are literally dozens of them in the power grid from the gen station to your wall socket then one in every component.

Only real concern is resale value IMO. but at that saving may not be a consideration. Also any competent tech can fix them and with that savings you'd have to have them fix it a lot before your paying more then the USA model. Bugs me when people here seem to think only a supper person or the manufacturer can fix my equipment.  Audio equipment is not that hard to fix and any competent electronics tech can fix 99% of what's out there.

One last thing if the transformer in the equipment has a tap already for the 115vac then its even easier to change. Most likely if its a world selling unit it already has the tap and just needs to be wired in. IMO worth researching a little to see.

220v transformer works well in us as i have used it with my 518 for more than a year.

Hung
The price difference is importing distributor and dealer markups. If you can get a 220v plug wired in your house or live with a transformer, the 220v will do perfectly. In fact on some amps 220v sounds better 110v version of the same amp.