Jelco sa 750e

Hi,

I have a Lencol75 that’s mounted in a corian plinth so the Jelco is drilled thru with no arm board.

spindle to pivot is 240mm

does anyone know a better tone arm that would have that 240mm so I could mount it in the same location?

that seems to be my only option.

Thanks for you info and time.

52tiger

Yes, thanks for the welcome. I have recently become a manufacturer and my name is Richard. I'll go and introduce myself in the relevant place. Cheers!

@supatrac Welcome. Introduce yourself, and let folks know if you are a manufacturer. Start a thread, etc.

I’ve looked at this before and it’s definitely interesting.
SUPATRAC Blackbird (supasound.com)

I've just found this. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions about the Blackbird.

Cheers!

@52tiger Ortofon is certainly quality in its build and design so I would assume the Sorane to be familiar in that way. I would however expect the Sorane to match up better with a wider range of cartridges. You could always give George Merrill at Gem Dandy a call. He’ll of course want to sell you a tonearm but his prices are the best in the business so who knows?

The Sorane tonearms are priced very good considering their build quality. I’ve been told by a dealer who sold both Jelco and Sorane, that the Sorane arms sound better than the Jelco arms.

Yes. For most intents and purposes,  it doesn't matter how big the hole is. 

So I think I’ve been looking at this the wrong way can someone tell me is there any reason I can’t drill this hole out and just put a armboard over it? That way I can use any arm

So I think I’ve been looking at this the wrong way can someone tell me is there any reason I can’t drill this hole out and just put a armboard over it? That way I can use any arm

I would send an email to Steven Huang at Audio Sensibility, he knows about everything there is to know about Jelco’s.

So I pulled the Jelco today, the hole size is 31.75 mm that’s for 240mm spindle to pivot.

the arm I’m wanting is 222mm spindle to pivot

since the base of tonearm is attached by screws

does the hole size matter?

@jeffrey75  I couldn't budge the original stub on the older silver 750 so I rang Expressimo. Apparently some stubs can't be undone as they're glued or something. I tried it again on a newer black 750 and it was very easy. I also tried the brass weight only on the 850 but the original sounded better.

Was the Expressimo Audio Jelco end stub hard to install, I really would hate to bend or strip out a perfectly working tonearm?

I initially did not think 850 would make huge difference for me, I use a 5.5g high compliance vintage MM Stanton. But it sure seems like two weeks after 850 was released Jelco shut it's doors so there was not much time for user reviews to get out there and change my mind.

What’s the different specs?

I’ve never had the opportunity to listen to a Garrard but really like the Lenco

its on a ptp4 and corian base with heavy platter 

@jeffrey75 I have a 750L 12" with Ammonite collar and Expressimo brass stub and counterweight on a Garrard 401. Not much to say other than it’s great. It’s not as good as the 850 though. I will say that the better the turntable, the better the arm performs. In other words, the 750 and more specifically, the 850 sounds a lot better on my higher spec main 401 than on my second 401.

Jelco's are well made plus very versatile judging by the cart/head-shell combinations people report using that replacing it without making a lateral move is going to be difficult. Osage Audio sells Sorane with recommendation for medium to low compliance carts but spindle to pivot distance does not match 240mm.

@noromance I would be interested in your opinion or review of a 750 with Ammonite mounting collar if you ever have to switch back over to your 750.

Thanks for the link, I emailed them waiting to hear back

i wonder if Ortofon has a similar arm since Jelco made them?

I have a collar I bought from TTW audio, I was actually shocked the difference it made.

I run Decca London (very low compliance) on my 750/850s with no issues.

A 750 with a Ammonite mounting collar is perfect for medium to high compliance MM carts and some lighter medium compliance high output MC carts

I’m currently using a modded Denon 103 with a Oswald mills headshell sounds very good

OP:  A 750 with a Ammonite mounting collar is perfect for medium to high compliance MM carts and some lighter medium compliance high output MC carts, just use a lighter head shell to dial things in properly.  MC carts that are low compliance and on the heavy side will see a greater benefit from 850's knife edge bearings, both are well made but 850 seems to be designed for MC carts.

Notwithstanding your next steps, upgrading your 750 to 850 will yield a nice improvement. They're hard to get now but worth it. Drop in replacement. 

Post removed 

The better the table, the better a good arm will perform. Your turntable support is also important. When I moved my table from wood to metal stands to concrete blocks, the improvement was a major upgrade. Adding springs under the table instead of cones also brought a large improvement. Try these 'upgrades' before spending relatively large amounts on gear.

Would a expensive arm make that much of a difference?

im starting g to believe turntable and tonearms are the least bang for the buck

The more I listen to the 750e it is quite a nice arm

but given the cost I’m sure there’s better I’m just wondering am I getting into the diminishing returns area of my investment? or would it be significant?

i was even looking at a Ikeda arm way more than I paid for my whole turntable but if it would be a great improvement.

who knows this can be a crazy hobby but fun

i really feel like the most important part of the equation is the room

Look for my thread on the 850. Basically, it's more resolving, finer etched, blacker - more contrasting, better layering, more spacious soundstage, faster, more color. It's a no-brainer. I haven't heard the 950 - uses a spring to apply downforce rather than weight alone for theoretically better tracking. 
Can you explain in Sonics how the 850 is in a different league?

so should I assume the 950 is even better than the 850?

I'm using a Jelco TK-850L.  Wrong size for your table, but the TK-850 series is quite good.  I also have a SA-750e.  It's a capable arm, but not in the sale league as the TK-850 series.