Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Oh! Bill Evans!

Like a river of notes streaming from paradise into hell, but keeping the flavor

of divine odour as fresh as it was in Eden...

Chet Baker plays like him with no effort at all to particularly impress or to shine, like anonymus angels play, without being ever recognized but only suspected...

When I want to get down to THE nitty-gritty of JAZZ . this is my  man!

The next time we worry about the future of Jazz, we should listen to one of this guy’s series of performances out of his NYC apartment featuring some of the best young players on the scene today as well as his outstanding permanent trio.  The joy in their playing is fantastic.

True , but what about the audience ?

I know I am bias , but my hears say Stitt  is the better musician .

Jim5, here is another fine album of Stitt that perhaps you do not have.

The song played here is from his 'Low flame' album from 1962.

Call me old fashioned, but this is the album I  have just bought few days ago...

Post removed 

Thank you frogman for the Emmet Cohen. I have been sampling his music all morning. Here is one with the French Jazz singer Cyrille Aimée

Well, this is certainly not jazz (aldo they have worked with some notable jazzmen), but still, interesting music, if you like that type, I beleive that Op would be interested, as well as @mahgister and perhaps some of you guys as well

The name of the choir is ’Skruk’, they are from Norway and they have been active for almost 50 yeras now. SKRUK has a varied repertoire, influenced by Norwegian folk music, spirituals, world music, and jazz, and has collaborated with many musicians,

Well, this is certainly not jazz (aldo they have worked with some notable jazzmen), but still, interesting music, if you like that type, I beleive that Op would be interested, as well as @mahgister and perhaps some of you guys as well

The name of the choir is ’Skruk’, they are from Norway and they have been active for almost 50 yeras now. SKRUK has a varied repertoire, influenced by Norwegian folk music, spirituals, world music, and jazz, and has collaborated with many musicians,

Thanks very much.... I discovered this one thanks to you...

Very interesting!

I had already some albums with Mahsa Vahdat , Persian music is one of my love...

Farsi and Russian are my favorite languages for song... For sure i like German and italian, but i have a soft spot for these languages sounds....

Jazz being "freedom" musical synonymus, any music can be assimilated or transformed in jazz anyway.. Welcome....And jazz had taught us that musicians incorporating improvisations matter not less than written compositions...

Like classical music, jazz is a general perspective, a spirit attitude, far more encompassing than just a restrictive "style"....

Post removed 

acman, I'm not much of a fan of big band jazz, but Herman is one of my exceptions.  I have this album and enjoy it, other than the electric piano.  I know they were popular around this time but I never cared for them.

Here's an earlier version of his band, also in my collection.  It swings nicely.  Thanks for the reminder.

Post removed 

Careful, careful your European bias is showing.  My BS relay is chattering.  Makes me wonder why you are still in Minnesota instead of Mannheim!

Cheers

Post removed 

Believe that if medicine doctors would prescribe listening to Paul Desmond as a medicine, the world would be a better place...great album, excellent sonics (on Verve)

Extraordinary, a really true genius.... I dont have this....

It is you who inform me about him....

Thanks....

Post removed 
Post removed 

Is there anything or anyone preventing you from moving to canada?  How about scotland?  If you hate this country so much, you should leave.

Cheers

Post removed 
Post removed 

Jazz is an evolutionary art form. The top exponents of the art form at any point in time, influence the upstarts, who then go on to push the art form to the next, some would say, “logical” stylistic stepping stone.

Woody Shaw was considered and accepted, within “the scene” as the guy who would follow Freddie Hubbard as THE next torch bearer. He died way to soon at 44 (I think). This (Freddie Hubbard) is who he was to follow in the art form’s trumpet lineage.  (amazing record!) :

Thank you frogman for introducing me to the Interplay album been sampling all of the songs this morning and I just ordered the CD on Discogs.

BTW I have just about every Woody Shaw album and quite a few with him as a sideman. I am partial to this one:

Thanks for this album...

Shaw is a one of the great trumpeter...I will get this album too...