Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Showing 50 responses by pjw81563

frogman I never knew Dave Brubeck's sons followed his path into jazz music and those 2 songs you posted are so good I ordered the albums.

Since nobody seems interested in Roberta Gambarini or maybe never knew of her what do you think? Was the great Hank Jones genuine in his praise of Roberta? This is from the recording session with Hank Jones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwvDhn8VdNE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAfMDPkg6a8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pAaZpTud_s

And one from another album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJc_fCSxz2w

I posted a live Roberta concert up the page.
Good morning/afternoon mary_jo

I see you have money on your mind. And Dusty Springfield in your ears.

One of my favorite "money" songs as well as a great bass line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll3uipTO-4A

Enjoy your day.

Great Cannonball clips. I especially enjoyed  Cannonball Adderley Sextet in Switzerland 1963 - Jive Samba. Great solo's.

And his appearance on that episode of Kung Fu I was not aware of although as a youth in the 70's I watched every episode of every season it was on air. Thursday nights on NBC IIRC.
Thanks I just checked the forum after the Rangers beat the Islanders so I caught the beginning of the 3rd great Miles 65 - 68!
I have 2 versions of Cedar Walton's "Eastern Rebellion". One disc has Bob Berg on tenor sax and the other features George Coleman on tenor sax.

Both are very good albums that the frogman pointed my direction to.
Isn’t Herbie Mann primarily known as a flutist? In the late 60’s he had recording sessions with a few outstanding guitarists. Larry Corryell, Sonny Sharock and, believe it or not, Duane Allman.

The bass clarinet definitely adds an interesting sound into the music although I think he was a "supreme master" on the flute

Great album cover for Herbie Mann plays Afro Cuban:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=httelW_hkpU

Thanks ghosthouse for sharing the type of cables you are using in your system. I found the power conditioner you mentioned. A used one here on Audigon. This cost more then my Emotiva  XPR2 - 2 channel 250pc amplifier.

Isotek EVO3 Aquarius | AC Conditioners | Santa Clara, California 95051 | Audiogon

I will continue the search for used and maybe try the other method of trying out for 5% and sending back if I don't hear a difference.

I also found one that cost more than a 4 year old used BMW car!

Synergistic Research Galileo PowerCell SX Limited Edition - BRAND NEW - redesigned and improved version | AC Conditioners | Apple Valley, California 92307 | Audiogon

If you click the link and scroll through the photo's you can see this guy is a serious audiophile.

RE: Lyle Mays' first solo album.

Its in my collection and I like it a lot as well. Mark Johnson plays bass on a few Mays' great recording sessions including my personal favorite the LUDWIGSBURG CONCERT. Described here by JAZZ TIMES.

Whether intentionally or not, Lyle Mays seems to have perpetrated one of jazz’s great disappearing acts. For more than three decades, beginning in the mid-’70s, he was an integral component of the Pat Metheny Group, as keyboardist, composer and arranger; released a handful of well-regarded solo albums; and served as sideman to a number of high-profile artists. But for more than a decade now it’s been radio silence.

Given his below-the-radar status, the emergence of any previously unheard Mays music of significance is a treat. This new set is not newly recorded—it documents a 1993 concert in Germany—but it’s a treasure, described in the liner notes as “THE ONLY LEGAL RECORDING OF MAYS' ACOUSTIC QUARTET,” that being bassist Marc Johnson, saxophonist Bob Sheppard and drummer Mark Walker, with Mays sticking solely to piano. Its nine tracks are spread over two CDs, all of them Mays compositions save for an expansive reworking of “Au Lait,” composed by Metheny and Mays and originally heard on the PMG’s Offramp album.

Capital letters (emphasis) are mine.

Jutta Hipp's piano sounds just right on this one; it has the sound of "lost longing" that some would call "Blue".

I listened to the whole "Jutta Hipp" album and will be adding it to my Zoot Sims collection along with one album alec posted on the previous page.
Pjw, I thought I had everything by Ike, but I see that I don't; I don't have "Blue Harlem", and I like it a lot, must have it.
Can't go wrong its a great album. 
O10 here is another new "London Scene" jazz musician  Shabaka Hutchings a saxophone player and leader of the group " Shabaka and the Ancestors"

Shabaka And The Ancestors - The Coming Of The Strange Ones (Visualizer) - YouTube

Some of the bickering here on what should be called jazz is apparently an ongoing theme of everyone interested in "our music" as can be seen reading the 2 following reviews of "Shabaka And The Ancestors" which represent both sides of the same coin.

2.0 out of 5 stars This may be good music of some sort, but it's not good jazzReviewed in the United States on June 18, 2020Verified PurchaseI suppose it's my fault for expecting something else. It's on Impulse, and I saw it topping a "Best Jazz of the Year So Far" list, so I had my hopes up. But the leader, Shabaka Hutchings, a tenor saxophonist, is not an accomplished player. The songs he wrote are not really songs, just slightly varying funk grooves.

The band is from South Africa, which is where it was recorded -- if you expect South African music with lots of drums, you are less likely to be disappointed than if you expect a good jazz album. There is a strong influence of late Sixties Impulse jazz, especially Pharoah Sanders, as well as Sun Ra, but this is not nearly as good. The influence was clear to whoever it was who signed the band to the Impulse label.

The singer, Siyabonga Mthembu, wrote the lyrics, and all the songs have vocals. The lyrics are printed in the insert, and it all seems to be one text, with the heading: "Music is the seed from which new worlds must grow." Part of my interest in the album, despite my misgivings about the music, was that I read that it is about climate change, seeing the collapse of our destructive way of life through ecocide, and then surviving to create another society -- well, Africans surviving in any event. That may well be what it is about, but it's too oblique to send a clear, strong message.

I hate to be a naysayer when I really support the apocalyptic verdict on our ecocidal "civilization." But the vehicle for the message is music, and it's not music I find enjoyable.

I recommend John Coltrane's "Meditations" (1965) and Miles Davis's "Pangaea" (1975) if you are looking for some wild, apocalyptic jazz.

AND:

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCITING MUSIC FROM AN EXCITING NEW GROUPReviewed in the United States on May 27, 2020Shabaka Hutchings, sxes, clarinet; Siyabonga Mthembu, voc; Mandal Mlangeni, tpt; Mthunzu Myubutu, alto sx; Ndudouzo Makhatini, Thandi Ntuli, p; Ariel Zaminsky, b; Gontse Makhene, Tumi Mogorisi, perc. others.

If you have listened to the songs from Hutchings’s previous album with this group, his 2016 Wisdom of Elders, you know what to expect. But this album is even better than the last, and almost as good as 2018’s Your Queen Is a Reptile, with his drums and tuba driven group, Sons of Kemet. Ancestors offers a headier mix of sounds than Kemet, with a second saxophone and the option of sax duets, a trumpet, and piano/keyboard, but it’s the same basic sound for both groups: percussion driven, drums and electric bass driven, music building out of riffs more than flowing melody lines, the judicious use of voices singing, chanting and reciting, and over it all Hutchings’s exciting horn –here, clarinet as well as tenor sax. It may be just because I was listening for it but in this album, I heard more echoes –built on, not aped—than in the other albums: of the rhythm and horn mix on side one of Carlos Santana’s and Buddy Miles’s 1970 New Year’s Eve concert (side two is a mess but side one is glorious), the multi-horn back and forth of the first Mahavishnu Orchestra Birds of Fire and Between Nothingness and Eternity, and the blending of jazz and African roots in albums by Dollar Brand/Ibrahim Abdullah and Randy Weston. This is a very good album and refreshing sign of how talented young musicians can incorporate the lessons of their elders in new and vibrant ways.

Of course here in the states we have many of these types of "jazz musicians" playing albums with an underlying theme, whatever it may be, and the questions about what genre to call this music still remains and will be debated ad nauseum. I look at it this way. If you dig the music who cares what label they stick on it.

Ambrose Akinmusire is a good example:

Ambrose Akinmusire - Tide of Hyacinth - YouTube
Received this in the post Friday and played it loud on my gear. Excellent album with excellent personnel 
Herbie Hancock, Jack De Johnette, Ron Carter, Mike Lawrence (a trumpet player who is never mentioned here) and the great Joe Henderson.  Album title "Power to the People"

Black Narcissus - YouTube

All fans of Miles Davis' Jack Johnson should get the "Complete Sessions" here:

Miles Davis - The Complete Jack Johnson Sessions - Amazon.com Music

It is an outstanding box set and well worth the money.

pryso I think your correct about reed players. One of my favorites, James Carter, plays every reed instrument there is. What's amazing is that he plays them all at an elite level.
frogman I agree Turrentine can "funk out" with the best of them. And I have seen Eric Alexander a half dozen times at our local NYC Jazz venues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md6AZ2AiHpk

Just finished listening to the Milt Jackson Quintet Live at the Village Gate. recorded 9 December 1963. Awesome mastering on the CD. Label is Fantasy released in 1994. Not a bad song on the disc. 

I have been on a quest to acquire more jazz recordings with Jimmy Heath and I am glad I picked this up for a decent price. Albert "Tootie" Heath is the last of the Heath brothers alive and he is an underrated drummer who shines on this live date as well as his brother Jimmy. Milt Jackson's vibraphone playing is front and center in the mix. 

And what a great album you chose frogman. Art, Sonny and the rest of that band are truly in the category of "The Giants of Jazz"

@mahgister Eddie Daniels plays tenor sax and takes a solo on this cool tune by the Thad Jones Mel Lewis Orchestra with the great Joe Williams on vocals.

********* I’m hoping my attempted description might generate some ideas about music with a similar "vibe"**********

If you are looking at strictly quartets with one brass instrument added to the standard piano - bass - drums trio give the Cedar Walton "Eastern Rebellion" albums a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuYeeMcyCIk
alex those Herbie Mann albums are good examples of his early years when he was sticking mostly with traditional jazz genre. In the late 60's and 70's he was all over the place.
****the style of music performed is the more critical consideration*******

Then may I suggest a trio session led by Chick Corea:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=chick+corea+now+he+sings+now+he+sobs

Check out his rendition of Thelonious Monk's "Pannonika"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRqcobYcDoc
O10 that is really cool that you saw Grant Green so many times and I was wondering did he have any personal conversations with you and if so is there anything you can tell us about the man.

Live at the Lighthouse gets many repeated listens over here.
Our OP seems to have vanished. I hope he is just taking a break from posting on the thread and its not anything bad.
Alex, what do you think of this album with Sonny Rollins?

010 I have that Dizzy Gillespie disc as well as "Sonny Side Up" They are both fantastic albums. In this instance it is not the same release (with the same songs) under a different title which happens a lot with jazz music.

Each of those albums originally contained 4 different songs although my copy of "Duets" has 2 bonus tracks.

Sonny Side Up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL4t_N17DvA

I also ordered a 2004 CD  Lucidarium by saxman Steve Coleman. 

Dafnis Prieto plays drums on this Coleman session. It is a 9 piece band plus a vocalist.
O10 That Shango "Drums of Passion" is an outstanding example of a modern day African drum and chant songs recorded in 1960 100 years after the end of the centuries of the cross Atlantic slavery migration. I am going to try and find a copy on CD.

"Shango (Chant to the God of Thunder)" is a track from Drums of Passion, an album released by Nigerian percussionist Babatunde Olatunji in 1960. "Shango" is the title of a Hugh Masakele track on his 2016 album No Borders. The song "Que Viva Chango" by Celina y Reutilio refers both to Chango and to Santa Barbara.
pjw, almost 23 h in the evening here. Perfect time for music.
Enjoy here is one I think you will like:

(2) Al Di Meola - Broken Heart - YouTube

nsp,

Thanks for the disc recommendation Art Farmer The Time And The Place.

Did you read the comment on the link that it is a Studio recording with applause dubbed on later. I researched and found the "real" live version it has a different song set and its called  Art Farmer Quintet ‎– The Time And The Place/The Lost Concert. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Time_and_the_Place_(Art_Farmer_album)

https://www.discogs.com/Art-Farmer-Quintet-The-Time-And-The-PlaceThe-Lost-Concert/release/3602168
Paul, have nothing from Gator Jackson. Which one you would recommend?
alec I would start with "Bar Wars" Some great musicians on it including Pat Martino.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMHCNdnATLo

Jackson's recordings are hard to come by. This is one I have always wanted (dig the title) but it has only been released on vinyl multiple times and never on CD. See Discogs here:

"Headed and Gutted"

https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?master_id=1727385&ev=mb
nsp 

I think you have a rare album. I think the first LP is with the dubbed over applause and the second LP is 3 live tracks recorded at the Museum Of Modern Art plus 2 additional studio tracks.

Anyway if the music is good does all this really matter?

Maybe your double LP is a collectors item.

JMHO

I agree Mingus Live at Antibes is one of the all time great jazz albums.

I think Mingus at Cornell is just as good. They were 2 of the first 50 or so jazz albums I purchased. Here is the song "So Long Eric" from the Cornell album recorded 18 March 1964 and the same song recorded and filmed in Norway in April 1964. Eric Dolphy died on 29 June 1964. I also have the new 5 disc Mingus in Detroit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QC8C9AxLe8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKajqnE41fg
I know that wiki usually a suspect source but discogs listings are 100%. They catalog the songs, the personnel, the dates, ect. on every album listed with them. I have purchased at least 50 discs from them and never had a problem.

I checked discogs for the "added applause" reissues without "lost concert" in the title and could not find a double LP just singles.

All music says a double LP was released in 1982 yet discogs has no listing for this. Also there are 8 tracks on the "lost concert disc" and All music states the double LP has 5 additional tracks so they are saying the version without "lost concert in the title is the one you have plus 5 extra tracks to make 12.

Here is the "Time and Place" 7 tracks supposedly dubbed in applause:

1 The Time And The Place
Composed By – J. Heath*
2 The Shadow Of Your Smile
Composed By – J. Mandel*, P. F. Webster*
3 One For Juan
Composed By – J. Heath*
4 Nino’s Scene
Composed By – S. Mihanovich*
5 Short Cake
Composed By – J.J. Johnson
6 Make Someone Happy
Composed By – A. Green*, B. Comden*, J. Styne*
7 On The Trail (From "Grand Canyon Suite")
Composed By – F. Grofé*

Here is "Time and Place" -Lost Concert 8 tracks:

1 On The Trail Composed By – Ferde Grofe* 10:00

2 Band Announcement 0:46

3 Far Away Lands Composed By – Jimmy Heath 6:36

4 The Shadow Of Your Smile Composed By – J. Mandel*, P.F. Webster* 14:15

5 Dailey Bread Composed By – Albert Dailey 11:41

6 Blue Bossa Composed By – Kenny Dorham 7:40

7 Is That So? Composed By – Duke Pearson 8:40

8 The Time And The Place Composed By – Jimmy Heath 10:24

There are no song times listed on the 7 track version. You may have a rare album with the 7 track version plus 5 additional songs. Are the first 7 songs on your double LP the same as the 7 song version? 

If they are the same as the 8 song version then I’m confused. 

Another thing does your double LP list the venue where the "live" tracks were recorded? If so was it at The Museum Of Modern Art NY?

If not then I'm doubly confused

Great educational saxophone video rok

The e flat contrabass is colossus!

One of the soldiers played the notes to Black Sabbath's Iron Man!

frogman have you seen Dr. Paul Cohen's collection in person?