Help ref Oppo 105 with Marantz AV7005 set up

Hi. Really new to audio and would like some simple advice. Currently I have the following set up

Oppo 105
Marantz AV 7005
Rotel RMB 1075
Monitor Audio RX6
monitor audio radius 225 center
Linn 5110 gor rear speakers

Current problem i have connected Marantz to the Oppo 105 using 5.1 rca cables and HDMI cable and although sounds great am not utilizing DAC in Oppo 105. Is the sound i am generating the same as I would have with an Oppo 103?

Problem I have is both Oppo and Marantz have balanced inputs only. I purchased cable and realized mistake I had made as no balanced inputs.

Question is (1) With my current set up can I utilize the DAC? If dont use balanced input what can i do? Can i go another route? Obviously want to get best sound possible.
Can i get my Marantz updated to include balanced inputs instead of having to sell my existing av receiver?
(2) Do i need to change my Marantz AV receiver? What do you recommend but it has to handle both movie and for music. However a used Marantz AV 8801 has balanced inputs but cost used over $2000. Would it not sound better with spending money on better speakers. If so any recommendations for a suitable AV receiver?

My room is 15 by 15, wood floors. Use system a lot for streaming, 60% music and 40% movies.

Thanks in advance
morty74

Showing 3 responses by dopogue

IME, there is definitely a reason to use the 105's balanced outputs even for short runs. At least in my system. The balanced outputs provide much higher gain and keep the gain level in the same ballpark as when playing other sources (vinyl, open reel tape in my case). Using the unbalanced (RCA) outputs requires setting the volume level on my Aesthetix Calypso linestage much higher. Yes, I could run the 105 directly to my power amps but the sonic improvement using the Calypso is not subtle. I have the Modwright version of the 105 but the same thing happened before I got it modded.
Oh, yes, I much preferred colored sound to the bleached, threadbare "transparency" I get from going direct or via a passive linestage.
Sorry for the snark. I didn't bother trying the stock 105, before
sending it to Dan Wright, in direct/passive mode. I had done this
(several attempts with different passive linestages) with my BDP-83SE
and found it sounded exactly that way. I figured the 105 wouldn't be
that different, but then I've never found a CD player that didn't benefit
from an active linestage. They probably exist. I just haven't heard
one.

BTW, the Modwright mod is well worth the cost, to me at least, which
is twice what the stock 105 cost.

EDIT; A friend brought over his stock 105 last weekend and we
confirmed it.